69S dies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

69S dies!

Many will know I bought a 69S mid last year and have had it stored at Phils warehouse pretty much since its arrival as I had too many cars and not enough space. Due to recent sales its currently my only P wheels so went to get it from Phils last Friday

After re-installing the rotor button and firing it up it seemed to be running OK so headed for the freeway for the 1 hour journey home. It was running poorly whenever I put my foot down but went OK as I was coasting along.

I decided to get off the freeway to get some petrol as it was running low and I got to the first set of lights, Flemington Road and Racecourse Road, a large busy intersection in Melbourne, where it promptly died on me mid intersection and refused to go. Luckily momentum carried me through and I was sitting in the middle as traffic split left and right of me.

Luckily I wasn't far from Mark Johnson and Dave Belford so the call went out to Dave who brought over Marks race car trailer and we carted it back to his nearby warehouse in Nth Melbourne.

I thought the plugs might have completely fouled but it turned out that one of the clips on the distributor cap is dodgy and the cap had moved or wasn't on properly to start with and hence the rotor had been spinning against it and split the rotor. Also the points were not openeing very far so a borrowed 7300RPM rotor from Mark and Dave's feeler guages got me going again.

Car drives well actually, even better than before thanks to wider points gap but has a major oil leak, probabaly a pissy O Ring from the front of the crankshaft that requires a case splitting to fix. Otherwise no oil leaks at all. Think I will leave that for another day.

I had all of Saturday to myself and as I am getting a dash recovered for this car in the USA at the moment I thought I would remove the old and have a look for the dreaded rust lurgy.

I am getting pretty clever at removing all the ventilation, wiper motor etc and before long had the dash ready to come out. Found evidence of mice living in the inner front guards and the vacuum was put into service to remove heaps of mouse **** and other items they had collected.

I managed to fit a NOS Blaupunkt radio with its NOS Porsche fitting kit in no time at all. Really is easy if you have all the right pieces and the instructions. I can help if you need info here folks. I even have the correct template for the front piece as it comes with the NOS fitting kit (which I bought from E Bay some time ago).

My 69S has a ton of driving lights, badly fitted, also so I traced and removed any incorrect wiring and will start again with Peter the Auto Electrician. It has Cibies in the bonnet but they are the Citreon fitting, same lights however, and hence the lens is angled to the side but adjustments to the fitting ring car fix that easily. In fact I have just finshed shifting them see them on the car and now on the bench!

Think I will remove the under bumper driving lights and leave the other two. Besides 6 is the max number of lights here in Victoria anyway

The car also had race numbers and white circles on the doors and bonnet and I decided they should go so out with the hair dryer and off they came. Unfortunately so did large chucks of paint which hadn't adhered so well to the body so some fix up work required there also.

Its also got a 100 litre centre fill tank which I filled yesterday $135.78 thank you very much!!!! Check ou the pic.

I found some rust in the front of the hood, you can see it in the first pic, and a little in the floor but nothing too major. When the guards are removed the true story will reveal itself won't it Peter.

I plan to fix it up a fair bit but nothing like the Targa just a nice external paint job and sound mechanicals if its doesn't need fixing then it won't be happening and no concours.

Stay tuned as it unfolds.

Might bring it out next Saturday for the run.
    Attached Files
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

And some more
    Attached Files
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President

Comment

And the last three for the moment
      Attached Files
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President

Comment

Clyde, car looks like great - I think it has a lot of potential and a heck of a lot of fun ahead of it!

So what is planned for this one? Full resto????

I am sure I am not the only other person wondering if you are again embarking on your perfection car!

Eitherway I hope it comes out next weekend for a run and a well earned blast!

See it and you then
        Alex Webster
        A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Clyde, dont take too much off it so you can drive it next weekend. We will all just have to livve with teh fact that the door paint isnt perfect and the rear bumer is just ot right, etc, etc. But the radio does look good. You can help me do mine. I will need to use your template to make a facia plate too.

Having drivien the car, I think it will make a great driver for fun Saturday or Sunday morning drives as it seems to just love to rev.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Clyde,

Nice looking bit of work there!

I can sympathise with the paint thing, had the same thing happen as my brother in law was peeling off one of the stickers from the front guard, and I was just suggesting that the hair dryer might be the way to go!

As long as its mechanically ok why not just drive it for a few months without having to worry about the paint work??
            Cam Arnott
            Looking for engine #6208151
            1970 911E (Sold)
            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
            2 x Split Screen Kombis
            TYP 901 Register # 78
            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Clyde,

Looks good ! Bummer about the decals peeling the paint....an excuse to
              refresh the look eh? Is this the car that Bill Noon was selling?

Any pics & /or tips on the dash removal? Is it neccesary to remove the
              fresh air fan assy. ? I need to get my restored dash in my 70E.

Cheers Mate !

Comment

Hi Chris,

Well I have removed a few dashes in my time and while its possible to do so without removing the air equipment its a darn side easier without it in the road. There are 6 nuts to remove and some are darn near impossible to get at with the air equipmet in the road. In any event I wanted to replace the plastic hose for the washers so again its easier to do when everything is gone.

To remove I would say 40 minutes to 1 hour to return about 1 hour to 1.5 hours as you have to reset the cables and this is harder than just removing

You also have to remove the windscreen as the dash is also held in place by a few screws along the front (bonnet) edge of the vinyl overhang of the dash. You can see these black screws if you look from outside the car along the bottom edge of the dash where it meets the windscreen. Can't get them out without the screen removed.

The dash needs to be pulled away from the metal, towards you as you sit in the car and then lifted up at the same time firstly to allow the attached threads for the removed nuts to pull out of their holes and then secondly to allow the 5 clips to pull up from their receptacles on the top of the dash. These are a long version of what holds the door trim in place easier if you have two people but can do with one

Did you get Just dashes to do yours or the ex Autos International man. I went with Just Dashes for the more original look and because the have the injection/foam moulding capacity top het the shape correct if it is out of shape, which mine was.

Tony has the advantage on price for sure.

Hope this helps need more info then ask away.
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

clyde

you might also want to consider putting a cable tie around the two clips that hold your distibutor cap on. quite a few tarmac rally cars have this as they are subject to lots of shocks, jumps, vibration etc.

Comment

Ryan,

Did you Cibies come with the tab still attached to the chrome rings or had they been removed as I see in another post you couldn't figure how to get the chrome ring off.
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

the tabs are still attached

and i eventually sorted out how the remove the rings...

Comment

Working...
                      X