Importing +$1000 Parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing +$1000 Parts?

Okay, I think we all know the rough rules for getting the odd purchase through without getting smashed with duty and tax...

What about bringing is some more expensive items? I'm looking at some stuff from Elephant for both cars (suspension and cooling related) and clearly I'll be up for a few grand. I previously got hit on P&Cs and sat and annoyed the Customs officers for half a day doing the paperwork.

I don't have that kind of spare time anymore. What is the usual process for engaging a customs agent, and what sort of fees can I expect? I know a few of you have done this before, or do it as part of business; what do I need to know?

Cheers
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

John if you use FEDEX or UPS the customs clearance is included in their freight charges. If the goods are made in USA, then no duty applies, only GST as we have free trade agreement with the USA.

Pls check if your seller has good rates with FEDEX and ask them to quote on International Economy rates which can really lower the freight charges. Often these US based sellers ship so much they do get great rates, but they also like to make a margin on freight too so be careful of that.

I recently shipped parts from Elephant racing using my own Fedex a/c and they had no problem with that either. I didnt check on their freight rates though.

You might need to contact Fedex once you have all the docts from the supplier emailed to you to ensure the Fedex customs broker gets them classified correctly. GST will apply though and there is no way to get around that.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

John, It seemed to me last time that they had streamlined the process. Also because you have done it before you are already on the system and have a customer number or some such.
      I downloaded the form from their website 5 mins to fill it in, pay the fees by credit card and Bob's your uncle.

Comment

Thanks Gents, the advice is appreciated.

The purchases I'm looking to make (T-bars and suspension) are at a point that I think splitting it up is counter productive - multiple shipping costs will outweigh just paying GST and or duty...
        John Forcier
        Restoration Saga

Comment

I also recall that in invoice/receipt needed to actually say "made in the USA", or similar to qualify under the FTA. Can tyres still be obtained via Tire Rack or is that really cheap access now sealed off?

Comment

Last time I imported (Mahle P&Cs) I was able demonstrate that they were 'vintage car parts' which did not attract duty either. But the Elephant stuff I'm considering is definitely USA made.
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

John, the invoice should say: "Origin of goods: USA".

What freight options does the supplier offer you ? Fedex ? UPS? US Postal Service (USPS) ?

I get a lot of commercial stuff in via Aust Post and if the goods are over A$1000 they send you advice in the mail. I usually give this plus my commercial invoices to my customs agent to do a formal entry. These charges are usually around $200 when all incidental fees are included.

If yo know the tariff item nos of the goods, you can create the entry yourself and lodge it with Aust Customs.

As I said, there should be no import duty, just GST and they will calculate this (and there is usually an uplift amount on which they charge GST so calcs are not straightforward).

There is no way getting around GST on $1000+ shipments and you have to realise that if you bought the goods from an Aussie retailer, GST would be included in that price.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Thanks Phil

I was under no illusion that I'll be up for the GST on the landed total I did the 'self import' thing a few years ago, but just don't have the time now...

Until now I've always managed to keep things under $1k and split purchases up if necessary. But the VonShocks and oil lines I'm looking at are over a $1k straight up, so parcels can't be split - and as I suggested, I think once you have enough stuff to bring in (and heavier weights), you're better off doing it as a single lot to save on shipping - and accepting the GST.

I'd normally seek out an Australian supplier for expensive items, but I don't think anyone distributes the Elephant stuff over here?
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

I shifted this thread John as I think it definately worthy of the title General Information

Elephant Racing have awesome rates for shipping, UPS from memory.

I got a large box from them 2 years ago with oil lines and coolers in it cost $200US arrived in 5 days and I didn't get hit for GST even though value was about $1600 Aust
                  Last edited by Terminator; 12-05-14, 04:47 AM.
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President
                  Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                    But the VonShocks and oil lines I'm looking at are over a $1k straight up, so parcels can't be split

John FYI there is or was a set of (new) von shocks on pelican the other week remaining unsold.

I don't think there is a distributor for elephant in OZ - demand been a likely contributor.
                    Last edited by Michel; 12-05-14, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Having been an importer for over 35 years, I would not want to take on elephant racing parts distribution because, as Michel points out, the demand is low and the prices are high. Plus ER advertisies on line and I doubt the margin they might give a distributor would make it worthwhile. Everyone would expect you to sell it at the prices advertised online.

Plus the freight costs would be high for their large parts and holding inventory would be a nightmare.

its bad enough carrying 10 - 15 pairs of seats in stock and trying to anticipate demand.

But good luck to anyone who feels they want to take it on with ER products.
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Thanks for the valuable advice guys - very helpful.

I think I know what you mean Phil, although we love our 911s, I'm conscious the overall market - especially in Australia - is actually minimal. A country the size of of the USA lets "boutique" engineering/manufacture work through economies of scale.

Hayden Burvill is camping at my place again this year at the end of the month - it's always interesting hearing from him on the delicacies of engineering high end products and the marketing challenges. This will ofcourse be discussed over a fine bottle of scotch . He (Wevo) has some amazing engineering prototypes and ideas, but getting what the market wants wrong will end a business.

I guess I'll order what I need from Elephant and expect the worst (full GST and import costs) and maybe get lucky enough that it slips under the radar...
                        Last edited by Fishcop; 12-05-14, 09:52 AM.
                        John Forcier
                        Restoration Saga

Comment

John, Hayden can't bring some more vintage parts in? Or the shocks (gas) air freight only

Comment

Originally posted by Michel View Post
                            John, Hayden can't bring some more vintage parts in? Or the shocks (gas) air freight only
                            Nah, not fair on him - he's on holiday. And I've already maxed out his weight limits on other stuff
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                              Nah, not fair on him - he's on holiday. And I've already maxed out his weight limits on other stuff
                              Like good duty free scotch??
                              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                              X