Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway Bar Tie Rod Advice

Looking for some advice.

My car has aftermarket sway bars that do an excellent job. This does however come at a price. The car is a daily driver and while I do not find the ride too harsh at all the setup is noisy. I disconnected drop links today and the noise problem is gone, so sway bars are definitely the culprit.

Considering replacing the drop link rod ends with some with a quieter bushing (current are metal on metal). Assuming the sizes I require are commonly available then guessing I have a couple of options. Nylon which will wear more quickly (and possibly not perform as well?) or a higher end product (with smaller tolerances and therefore I assume less noise).

Any advice on what solution to consider and a good supplier.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DJ911; 20-05-14, 11:00 PM.

Dirk those are the drop links (definitely advise not to disconnect tie rods)
    And yeah on a daily driver I can imagine those rose jointed ones are going to be noisy. There are precision alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
      Dirk those are the drop links (definitely advise not to disconnect tie rods)
      Ah yes they are, excellent point not sure what caused that brain freeze... and edited original post.
      Last edited by DJ911; 20-05-14, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I believe you should be able to get the rose joints with Teflon inserts?

Comment

Yes the rose joints are going to be noisier than a synthetic bushed joint. It could be that the rose joints are worn (not common) which would emphasize noise. So if you don't want to change the set up all together, as Chris suggests there teflon units that will absorb some of the noise/vibration for you - for road use, they will last many years.

What way is the sway-bar mounted? Another approach would be to replace the carrier bushes with factory 'rubber' which should also dial out some noise being transmitted into the chassis.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks Chris & John, did some more investigating.

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
            Yes the rose joints are going to be noisier than a synthetic bushed joint. It could be that the rose joints are worn (not common) which would emphasize noise. So if you don't want to change the set up all together, as Chris suggests there teflon units that will absorb some of the noise/vibration for you - for road use, they will last many years.
            So assuming I do not want to change the setup all together (I am sure I will have a different opinion on this by the time this thread is done ), then:

The current rod ends are:
            2 x ASKUBAL KA 10-D for the front sway bar, and
            1 x ASKUBAL KA 10-D and 1 x ASKUBAL KI 12-D for the rear

The mating materials for these are steel and brass/PTFE (so as I understand it a film of Teflon?) What do I look for in selecting a higher precision / quieter replacement? Any recommendations?

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
            What way is the sway-bar mounted? Another approach would be to replace the carrier bushes with factory 'rubber' which should also dial out some noise being transmitted into the chassis.
            Had a closer look at the rear mounts tonight (photos below). Current bushes are a hard plastic of sorts, and a spacer of the same material. Thoughts?
            Attached Files

Comment

So either:
              1. there is a lack of knowledge here about such things (I doubt it) or,
              2. my knowledge is so obviously limited that people are avoiding answering (in accurate anticipation of the barrage of additional stupid questions likely to follow)

I vote number 2. Anybody else?

Comment

Hey mate, to me, your bar mounts don't look likely to be the cause of the noise. However as John says, urethane or plastic will transfer much more noise than rubber. Here http://www.bakerprecision.com/rodpick.htm is a link that I thought looked useful for upgrading or at least comparing rod ends.
                I'm sure your car has been set up correctly, but eliminating preload on the bar may be worth looking at, and in your case do it with the drivers weight in place.
                Last edited by 9er; 02-06-14, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Comment

Working...
                  X