Speedometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer question

I bought myself a 1976 911S a few weeks back, but i noticed a few things that puzzle me.

1. The speedometer has these red lines between the 50km/h and 60km/h marks. This I have seen with almost all speedometers.
    What I haven't seen before though is these same lines from 100 onward all the way to 250 (max).

The car is originally from Japan, and the speedometer seems original to the car (total distrance driven matches the various documents that came with it) but I can't find this type of speedometer anywhere on the web or in my Porsche documentation.
    Would anyone know here if this is a Japan specific thing or if it is an aftermarket thing afterall?

2. The car has indicators on the front fenders. Also here the web was not very helpful, and my Morgan book is still somewhere in one of the unopened boxes, but from Google it seems as if these fenders are SC fenders (e.g: Post 1981). The car does not have any front damage - as the original viper-green shows through verywhere and there are no welds or nothing. So, did the SC fenders have a bigger lip and would one of the owners have put these on for easthetic reasons or could this have been an American or Japanese option on the 1976 'from the factory'?

1973 911T Coupe
    1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

I'll bet those mods are japanese market specific. The side indicators (I think) were a reg requirement for the Jap market. Also the speedo markings could also be a Jap market regulation as well.

Having driven in Japan, its quite rare to get above 100 kph with the traffic so maybe the authorities were trying to warn you about excessive speed ?
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Yep side indicators JDM.

had them on the import R32 GTR I had a few years back.

Not sure about speedo - GTR didn't have that but was speed limited to 180, which was just as well for my longevity (man that car was FAST!)

Comment

Speedo is a jap thing. Have same on my 911 jap lhd car.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

I think it's kinda cool... "We can't stop you speeding, but we will be very cross".
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Update:
            Confirmed the speedo is indeed Japanese option:
            There is little info in the literature or online about pre-74 Porsche in Japan. I´m interested in more documentation regarding things like options, shops back in the day, literature, advertising material, how many cars sold, general pics etc etc Please chime in if you have anything to share that could be of interest. It would be especially interesting to hear from some of our Japanese members. If you are not a member of this forum and read this, I can be reached on this email:
            1973 911T Coupe
            1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Working...
            X