Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batteries

Righto,

I'm currently running two normal sized batteries in the car which means I can't get the spare to sit down in the wheel well as is should.

I have a couple of questions...

1. As the drivers side battery appears to be the one stopping the wheel sitting right down, is it OK to run one 'normal' sized battery and one small battery? I'm thinking of buying one of the factory type battery tie down straps to replace the aluminium one that has been rigged up to suit the big battery.

2. What type of batteries are you guys running and are they rudely expensive? Also where are you getting them from...? Any model nos. etc would be a help

Thanks
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Cam,

I'm running a single Odyssey, which fits in the battery box with miles of space & seems to have no problem cranking. I did have to fabricate a new hold-down strap, a 10 minute job.

Ill get the model number tonight, one of the mechanics has one in is helicopter - so is considered reliable & is lightweight.

Michael
    MichaelJapp
    71E
    Typ901 #065
    EarlyS #798

Comment

Is that mechaniic charging $80 and hour, could come in handy on the odd southern highlands run in Sydney..

Sorry Tony

Shane

Comment

I suppose $400 worth of helicopter support may have kept everyone driving in the highlands!!
        MichaelJapp
        71E
        Typ901 #065
        EarlyS #798

Comment

Cam

This was discussed at length on the old Yahoo site about a year ago, and there were a range of opinions about what is best.

I replaced mine about a year ago with Supercharge MF44 sealed units, about $65 each. Bit of a squeeze but they fitted OK.

IMHO the best thing you can do for batteries in these cars (if you arent driving them at least twice a week) is to put them on a battery charger - I use a Projecta Charge n' Maintain 12V 1600mA unit recommended by Grant Geelan. Used to have regular battery issues, since leaving them on these never a problem. You need to be near 240V power of course. They are around $85.

Comment

I went through all this about eighteen months ago after a succession of batteries only lasting me 12 months or so.

I did the swap over to the single Odyssey, after being recommended not to by a couple of different auto electricians. They’re advice was steer away due to years of poor customer support with warrantee issues. Knowing better I ignored them.

So after 8 months of dealing with a Odyssey battery that wouldn’t hold a charge for more than 2 weeks, I had the electrical system on my car checked (no problems) and the battery changed over to a single conventional lead acid number that fits exactly in the box. Car hasn’t had an issue since.

Not suggesting that this is a common issue may just have been me – and I should qualify these comments by adding my car probably only gets driven once every fortnight.

As for the Odyssey, despite being covered by warrantee they didn’t want to know me so I now have a $300+ door stop – that I’d be more than happy to sell if anyone is interested.

Michael, dropped you an email over the weekend, did you get it?

Cheers
            Paul Wischer
            1969 911T
            1979 Californian Moke
            TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Spyder use Bond batteries and I have always run the 2 factory style units in their correct places and never had a problem ever!

Phil had a problem running 1, ask Richard Griffiths, fried the battery in the middle of no where luckily I and the Targa were close behind with 2 batteries to get him going again using one of mine.
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I too run a bond battery, and it was Mike @ Spyder who suggested just going the one. Having said that you certainly can’t go wrong running 2.

Just think, the weight you save by running one battery instead of two could mean that you could also SPANK Clyde around Attwood :lol:

Regards
                Paul Wischer
                1969 911T
                1979 Californian Moke
                TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

I have 2 Exide 37A's in my 69T. Been there for nearly 3 years and not looked after properly eg with a trickle charger, but still going strong.

These batteries are a few millimetres wider (and I think slightly taller) than standard and I had to replace the "C" of the lower part of the battery tie down with a slightly longer piece fabricated out high tensile piano wire. The original battery strap on one side was missing but had no difficulty getting a new part from Porsche.

Comment

I jut bought 4 new battery strapas from porsche

$320!!!

Thats why I abandoned the RS restoration project
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

I just looked at my invoice for the battery strap bought in July 2003. I paid $37.67 with a 10% discount.

That is 1 indicator of how much prices have risen in the last few years.

Comment

Hi all,

A few of us went for a bit a fun run this morning out the usual way. Wet but lots of fun. Unfortunately my battery (or batteries) decided to stop working whilst we were having a roadside chat. The lads did a great job with a quick push start (except Clyde who came up with some excuse that he has just had knee surgery (actually given that I was driving him, and he has big swelling and scars on the knee, I think he was telling the truth) and the car started fine.

I notice from previous posts some of you are using the Bond two battery set up. If you are using this could someone let me know the model number of the Bond batteries that fit and which type (conventional, sealed etc.) I see from their website that they have a massive range.
                          Thanks
                          AV
                          Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

Not only did I have to push start the car but now I have to provide information as well too much for my knee to bear!!!

Bond Ultimate Range 443SMF if I remember correctly, if its not that then its 433 SMF. I had 4 goes to get the right ones from a local battery supplier so the number has stuck in my brain.

Thanks for the ride today a little tail snappy but road conditions and car set up were not conducive to road hugging performance.
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President

Comment

thanks Clyde,

Mostly driver I think!

AV
                              Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

Working...