Welcome Peter Kaufmann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Peter Kaufmann

Welcome to our newest members Peter Kaufmann from Sydney who has been a long time owner of a 1973 2.4E Targa.

Peter, feel free to tell the group the history of your car and we look forward to your participation in register events and the Forum
    Last edited by Terminator; 28-06-06, 07:02 PM.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

I see that he's already joined.

Comment

hi all,
      i purchased my australian delivered 1973 911e 2.4 targa with matching engine/ chassis no,s. via recommendation from ian hamilton (autohaus hamilton) in 1984 it was his car prior.
      i believe that i'm the 3rd / 4th owner from new.
      my car was orginally sold by porsche cars distributors (aust-n.z) p/l and was
      delivered new to mr. ian mc nee of mt. waverley. victoria. on 18/05/73.
      since my ownership this car it has been fully restorated from ground up, repainted in 2k enamel clearover base guards red enamel.
      all repairs where lead loaded and file finished prior to priming.
      the only deviation from factory specs. were fitting of geniune rs carrera rear guards, geniune rs carrera ductail , rs front spoiler and factory 6+7 x 15" factory fuchs wheels.and additional front oil cooler and lines. upgraded suspension and brakes
      the original 2,4e engine has been upgradeds to full 2.7 carrera rs specification, including turbo oil pump, carrera camshafts.cylinder heads have been enlarged and ported, the crankshaft,conrod and pistons balanced.the crankcases were lapped line bored helicoiled and spiigotts decked.
      the mechanical fuel injection pump and throttle bodies were upgraded to 2.7 carrera specifications and were rebuilt, bench flow tested and data recorded in the states prior to being reshipped back to australia.
      john gregory of spyder automobiles was give the task of trial assembly, final assembly,bench testing installing and running in the engine.the car was frieughted down to john for engine /gearbox installation as well as this john went over whole car ti check out for road worthness etc. etc.
      the car was handed back to me in 1995,the car has travelled less than 6000klms since restoration was completed.
      Last edited by PKAUFMAN; 05-07-06, 12:40 PM. Reason: updating

Comment

Cmon Peter pictures tell a thousand stories.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I have spoken to Peter a number of times and met him recently - he is one of those blokes you get the distinct feeling has forgotten more about P-cars than you are ever likely to know yourself.

I am sure Peter will be a GREAT technical asset and contoibutor of Australian P-car anecdotal history for this group.

NSW starting to hit some straps!

tonyc

tonyc

Comment

hi guys
            i got a million photos that i will post when i can navigate myself around, so sorry guys you will have to be patient for the moment.
            Last edited by PKAUFMAN; 02-07-06, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Ah Tony,

I see you're still talking to me ...for the record Peter Kaufmann is one of the nicest guys I've had the good fortune to deal with at work...always a pleasure to talk with over the phone (I owe you a return call too Peter - sorry; I'll give you a buzz next week).

Lisa

Comment

Hopefully I've made it easier to post photos on the site. You can do so in a post, or in the Photo Gallery, which you can now access from the homepage, quicklinks menu, or on the forumhome.

Comment

Peter,

I remember your car.... it was formerly aubergine I think... rego when Ian had it was OUR911... and it was purchased by Ian and Chris some time after the RSR 2.8 they owned was destroyed.

I might have even seen the car in around 76 .. it was for sale as a used car at John Newell's.. once again assuming I have the right car?

It was / is guards red now? It was also one of the first 2.8's in Sydney if I remember correctly. Ian built several motors in the same spec for customers (including Philip Moroney who came on our run last week with his G series Carrera).

Really pleased these cars are coming out of the woodwork... it takes me down memory lane. The cars have matured like an fine old red wine.

Tony's the wine buff... perhaps you could come up with an ananlogy?
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

justin,
                    yes, this is the same car.
                    i'm not sure who ian bought it from exactly or when.
                    if somebody has ian's e-mail address i will ask the question.

Peter Kaufmann
                    1973 911E TARGA #3210699
                    Last edited by PKAUFMAN; 01-07-06, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Ah Justin, about the best I can do is that a good red wine should commence life with a deep, inky purple colour (Aubergine), and as it develops it will begin to show a brilliant glowing red hue (Guards). As it moves on over time into gentle, fine aged territory it will start to show some rich, bricky colour (Bahia).

So Peter if you are ever thinking of another re-paint, Bahia Red would be the correct colour.

cheers

tonyc

Comment

Peter,

I remember seeing the car at Ian's mums place around 1979 /1980...when it was auburgine.

The RSR was destroyed in December 1977, and it took a while for Ian to find another car...

When I last saw the car it had a whale tail on it... have to say I prefer the duck tail you have now.

Car looks lovely... and in its heyday (when Ian owned it) it was a very quick, well sorted, well driven car. It was something of a giant killer.

When did you buy it?

I wrote an article on the RSR which was published in one of the newsletters... Ian's retired now... and enjoying life and tinkering with the odd Porsche.
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

hi justin,

i bought the car in may 1984. ian owned it till early 83 or so. sold it to allan fish he owned it for approx. 9 month and i bought t off him.

peter kaufmann

Comment

Working...
                          X