No announcement yet.

S Calliper Refurb by PMB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They may be anodized, but what you are seeing is the garnet used to clean them up was too aggressive. I think there is a chemical polishing process to give a more origional looking finish......

I soda blasted mine to remove the existing/failing anodize, and had them recoated, while not as shiny as the ones in the advertised finish, it's closer to Johns calipers.

Comment

Hi Cam,
      That's really disappointing - as others have stated they don't look to have been anodized which should leave a 'satin' finish to even poorly prepared metal. I'm just about to do a refurb on a set of classic Brembo's (3' bolt spacing) and was going to source parts from them - not so sure now.
      Paul Wischer
      1969 911T
      1979 Californian Moke
      TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Ok I sent Eric an email last night and he has just emailed me back with a direct contact number so we have now had a chat.

He has had issue in the growth of his business and with a sick father has not been hands on. The guy he had put in charge was not doing the job properly and has been let go and Eric is back at the helm.

Bottom line is that he has apologised and offered to meet all of the costs to send them back and re-do properly which is great.

He did note that the finish they do now is not as polished as their website photo, but is more factory correct.

Julian I can pass on his number if you have not emailed him already and got a response?

Cheers
        Cam Arnott
        Looking for engine #6208151
        1970 911E (Sold)
        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

There is a company here in Melbourne (Thomas town) called Vac-Air services who do brake callipers.

Carl Jones is picking some Ferrari parts up form them today and then dropping by my office. I will ask him what they can do and if anodizing is a service they provide. I know Phil Hearn at Auto Coupe uses them for all his calliper refurbs.

Will advise what I find out.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Cam, hi, thanks for that - I've emailed them as well, and hope that I get a similar response Will update here once I get a response - I did ask if there is a simple test I can do to establish whether they were anodised or not, to save the shipping back and fro if this can be avoided (noted John's comment but have neither and on looking at mine they are more finished than yours to my eye - "very" satin)or will take you up on the offer.

Cheers

Julian

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
            Ok I sent Eric an email last night and he has just emailed me back with a direct contact number so we have now had a chat.

He has had issue in the growth of his business and with a sick father has not been hands on. The guy he had put in charge was not doing the job properly and has been let go and Eric is back at the helm.

Bottom line is that he has apologised and offered to meet all of the costs to send them back and re-do properly which is great.

He did note that the finish they do now is not as polished as their website photo, but is more factory correct.

Julian I can pass on his number if you have not emailed him already and got a response?

Cheers
            Last edited by JulianG; 14-05-15, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul W View Post
              Hi Cam,
              That's really disappointing - as others have stated they don't look to have been anodized which should leave a 'satin' finish to even poorly prepared metal. I'm just about to do a refurb on a set of classic Brembo's (3' bolt spacing) and was going to source parts from them - not so sure now.
              I used these (from Alfa Milano) as well. They are almost impossible to get now. Eric at PMB rates them as 'amazing callipers' and I got the rebuild kits from him and they fitted beautifully (a bolt on with spacers removed) with new rotors and Porterfield pads. I had them media cleaned and painted in caliber paint. I have my original callipers stored. The Brembos are so light and very powerful.
              Attached Files

Comment

They're the same as mine, though the logo detail is a little more retro. Bodies have been cleaned and painted in calliper paint though I've changed my mind and now think I'll have them stripped and zinc anodised. Intended sourcing SS pistons and rebuild kits from Eric. I understand the standard LWB vented rotors will fit with the spacers left in - will find out soon enough.
                Paul Wischer
                1969 911T
                1979 Californian Moke
                TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Julian he told me they were anodised but had stayed in the solution too long - he called it burnt.
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

+1 on the Brembos, I would be keen to see pics of yours after anodising Paul.

Comment

Alfa 75 , also 90 and 164 are all the same

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                        I used these (from Alfa Milano) as well. They are almost impossible to get now. Eric at PMB rates them as 'amazing callipers' and I got the rebuild kits from him and they fitted beautifully (a bolt on with spacers removed) with new rotors and Porterfield pads. I had them media cleaned and painted in caliber paint. I have my original callipers stored. The Brembos are so light and very powerful.
                        Richard at Avanti Alfa in Brisbane 07 3266 6623 has re-conditioned pairs of these calipers at $550/ pair outright, finish is basic black, but if they are as hard to come by as people suggest, beggars cant be choosers ....
                        Craig
                        12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                        1972 2.4E Targa project
                        1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Eric at PMB is chasing as many as he can find. $550 is a good current price. I paid much less than half of that. If you use the LWB vented and not early car solid rotors. then the spacers can stay in I am told.
                          Last edited by Merv; 14-05-15, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Cam, yes, Eric replied to me extremely quickly, similar response, was extremely apologetic, and said that mine had been "over anodised" similar to the way RSR wheels are finished.

I've replied that so long as he's comfortable that they will provide the same protection as I expected from the anodising I'd be happy to let it go.

Cheers

Julian
                            Last edited by JulianG; 14-05-15, 07:21 PM. Reason: inclusion

Comment

I spoke to Eric, he was mortified at the batches that went out. He has assured me that the anodising on mine is sufficient, but never the less was happy to cover all the costs for me to ship them back and have them redone from an aesthetic point of view. He's got more on his plate than that, so will leave as is.

The proper response from someone with a good business who understands customer service and product quality, who happens to have had a glitch. Wouldn't hesitate to use him again.

Julian
                              Last edited by JulianG; 14-05-15, 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Good stuff a happy 901 ending

Comment

Working...
                                X