Too many watchers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many watchers?

Thursday night, 11pm. 24 members and 82 "guests" sometimes I think we should have a protected forum. Or at least follow the lead of some other Porsche forums where certain info , eg: cars for sale, is for paid members only.

Any thoughts ?

Paul M

Agree....100%
    Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
    1994 993 (road car)
    1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
    1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
    PCV #528

Comment

Somewhat disappointed that there wasn't a cheap Heuer on offer when I read the title.......

More the merrier I think, non members don't get to see photos, so post more photos and curiosity will have them signed up in no time.
      Tom Walstab
      Member #142
      911L Silver 1968
      911T Colour? 1969 Work in progress
      928GTS Iris Blue 1995
      911 997 Targa 4S Black
      Ford Ranger 4x4 Silver
      Arrow 125cc Rotax GoKart

Comment

Agree Paul, but only if present strictures don't work (based on replies below).
        Last edited by Merv; 19-06-15, 11:20 AM.

Comment

A lot of us were watchers before we became members. I think the flow of new members would dry up if no watching . . . they can't see the photos which eventually pushes a "keen watcher" to join

Comment

I too was a 'keen' watcher for over 12 months before I joined. It wasn't till I saw a post about the display at fed square, and met some members that I joined up. I think it would be a mistake to ban 'free' watching from the forum.

Comment

Non-members cannot:
              • Access member profiles/details
              • See photos
              • Post comments

I see no issue with allowing access to see the text in threads - in fact, the limited access to the site by non-members has attracted many new members (including Lyndon) to the club - including many overseas members.

However, I'll bring the issue up with committee (incl. our web mechanic Uwe) to decide if any further restrictions to non-members are deemed necessary............in fact, committee members are obviously now aware of the issue.

Any suggestions welcomed (but not necessarily implemented )
              Peter Williams #049
              Secretary TYP901
              1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

I'm in the "let them look but not touch" camp. It's how we whet new members appetites.

And if you're selling something, do you really care whose money you take?
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I don't think allowing others to generally view the forums detracts or devalues from the club and as mentioned can be a soft entry to membership. Instead of generally barring access I think a better inducement to join would be to limit access to the 'For Sale' forums to members only. I know of at least one other car club which does this which was the catalyst for my joining.
                  Paul Wischer
                  1969 911T
                  1979 Californian Moke
                  TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                    Instead of generally barring access I think a better inducement to join would be to limit access to the 'For Sale' forums to members only. I know of at least one other car club which does this which was the catalyst for my joining.
                    Moke Club?
                    Attached Files
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                      Moke Club?
                      Bloody hippies :p
                      Paul Wischer
                      1969 911T
                      1979 Californian Moke

Comment

For any members posting, please keep in mind that your text can be viewed and read (by those who can read) by anyone in the world who accesses our site - so you should be very careful not to post any sensitive or personal information that may compromise your security or safety.

.............and for anyone wishing to know how to suck eggs, please pm me
                        Peter Williams #049
                        Secretary TYP901
                        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Excellent point Richard. Locations, absences and similar should not be made known, even details of car VIN and registration. Makes life complicated somewhat.

Comment

We Moke owners all have a healthy sense of humour, though I'm sure if John's offended anyone the Mod's will step in to rectify...
                            Paul Wischer
                            1969 911T
                            1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Originally posted by PCM911T View Post
                              Thursday night, 11pm. 24 members and 82 "guests" sometimes I think we should have a protected forum. Or at least follow the lead of some other Porsche forums where certain info , eg: cars for sale, is for paid members only.

Any thoughts ?

Paul M
                              Hi Paul

Were your thoughts here limited to 'cars for sale'?

I, like the majority of members, was a watcher before I became a member. There are lots of (global) forums and this was the best suited to my requirements hence I joined. The membership fee is peanuts, $50 AUD for locals and $25 AUD for international (http://www.typ901.org/faq.php?faq=me...faq_membership) however I only joined when I had decided that I wanted to purchase. I don't believe the forum in itself is a good way of finding a car (how many cars get posted for sale here as opposed to Carsales / Gumtree?) however the forum gives you access to owners, cars that are sold off market, and enormous volumes of information when you do finally find a car.

As prices continue to rise and the volume of vehicles selling reduces I see the forum continuing to offer the benefits that I have listed above. I don't see that a closed 'cars for sale' section would in real terms offer any benefit to a prospective member. A recent proposal to include IB cars however would increase our numbers and cover those members who have now moved to the next model.

Cheers
                              Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X