Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.7 vs 3.0

"How long is a piece of string" but...

If one had a stock 3.0 with CIS and a 2.7 running webbers modded for just over 200hp (but no 7R case), and assuming they are both in sound condition, does anyone have personal experience that would inform comment on what would be the likely difference in driving characteristics?

Eg would it be generally true to say the 3.0 would be a torquey puller where the 2.7 would be revvier?

Isn't it twice the distance from one end to the middle?

Oh back to the question.

Not sure what a stock 3.0 power output is.
    Put the webers on the 3.0 if you can. 40's are a stretch as far as I know.
    Start removing weight from the car. That will bring your perceived horsepower up.
    Just throwing in useless info realy

Jim

Comment

Mitchell - I would look up the bore and stroke specs for both and that should tell you much of the answer. Would have thought that the CIS, if properly working, would give better starting, smoother idling and less snatching in the gears at lower revs than a 2.7 on carbs. Others with actual experience would know a lot more however.

Comment

Are we talking Carrera 2.7 vs Carrera 3.0 here, or just standard 2.7 vs 3.0? Having only driven a 2.7 carrera for a short burst compared to nearly 2 years of C3 ownership, from memory I can say that the 2.7 felt more revvy & tune-able compared to my 3.0, but I imagine that would only be a significant benefit on the racetrack (as current Group S historics results would sound out), and not in the real world. And a 3.0 carrera would leave you about $100k + better off compared to it's 2.7 sister!

A good article on the CIS vs carbs debate can be read here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...e_rebuild2.htm

Mark Munro
        '69 911T (sold)
        '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
        '69 MG Midget Group S car
        TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Talking purely about engines only, and tuned 2.7 on carbs (200HP) v bog standard 3.0 with CIS.

Comment

Good article link thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X