2.4 versus 2.2 values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.4 versus 2.2 values

Interesting looking at the recent sale prices that Dirk posted in the insurance thread.

I know I'm totally biased but it surprises me that the 2.4S seems to sell for such a large premium over the 2.2S. Whenever a Porsche magazine or book does a comparison the 2.2S always wins, but the market pays more--a lot more-- for the 2.4S.

For example, this month 911 & Porsche World ranked the 2.2S as the 10th best car Porsche ever built . . . they ranked the 2.4S at number 17. And last year Total 911 did that "Super 911S" cover story where they compared a 2.0S, 2.2S and 2.4S . . . and decided they liked the 2.2S best.

And yet . . . the market pays much more for the 2.4. Go figure.

What were the build numbers? It may be about the actual number of cars available?
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

I believe There were 46 RHD 2.4s targas built in 1973 ?

Comment

Numbers were ridiculously low for both vintages so I doubt that's the reason. In Australia, S-model deliveries were:

1970: 14
        1971: 12
        1972: 6
        1973: 15

I suspect it's more about a view that newer and bigger must be better. 1972/1973 with 2.4 is the last of the longhoods and has a bigger engine . . . so collectors have decided it must be worth the most. Personally I prefer 72 over 73 because you get the oil fill door and the chrome . . . with only six cars delivered an Aussie 72S is pretty much a unicorn now.
        Last edited by npvpositive; 10-07-15, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I think the classic car magazines have a lot to do with it too.

The journos have a modicum of knowledge but not a depth of knowledge, well most of them anyway.

I remember reading articles 10 or so years ago and they would rave about lwb 2.4's, and make disparaging remarks about swb cars not having even driven them i suspect!

They were also the lead in to the Rs, and just as in real estate, there is a ripple effect. If one cannot afford the Harbourside digs in or around kirribilli they look elsewhere, but close.
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

It's a bit like the derision heaped on the much maligned sporto box. Most people have never driven one but will heap scorn on them. My 74S with sporto went like stink. Very fast gear changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Banksy View Post
              It's a bit like the derision heaped on the much maligned sporto box. Most people have never driven one but will heap scorn on them. My 74S with sporto went like stink. Very fast gear changing.
              Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by npvpositive View Post
                Numbers were ridiculously low for both vintages so I doubt that's the reason. In Australia, S-model deliveries were:

1970: 14
                1971: 12
                1972: 6
                1973: 15

I suspect it's more about a view that newer and bigger must be better. 1972/1973 with 2.4 is the last of the longhoods and has a bigger engine . . . so collectors have decided it must be worth the most. Personally I prefer 72 over 73 because you get the oil fill door and the chrome . . . with only six cars delivered an Aussie 72S is pretty much a unicorn now.
                Damm ... My dream of owning a 72S is more distant than I thought! Are all the 6 cars accounted for?

Cheers
                Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
                  Damm ... My dream of owning a 72S is more distant than I thought! Are all the 6 cars accounted for?

Cheers
                  Adam

Hugh may know where some of them are? Likely that some of the 6 cars have been wrecked or shipped to England over the years . . . I don't think I've ever seen an Aussie delivered 72S in the flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by npvpositive View Post
                    Hugh may know where some of them are? Likely that some of the 6 cars have been wrecked or shipped to England over the years . . . I don't think I've ever seen an Aussie delivered 72S in the flesh.
                    Nick, this 72s was up for sale a couple of years ago.

The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.
                    Peter D

TYP901# 233
                    911T Coupe 68
                    911E Targa 73
                    911E Coupe 72 (sold)
                    1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Of the 6 4 were 5 sp, one a 4 sp and one a sporto.

There is a silver on in Melbourne , was originally a four speed, that is the one peter Posted the link to

of the 4 5sp cars one orange one I don't know anything about, one yellow one was in an accident back in the day and converted to a rally car in south Australia but I don't know where that is presently, one viper green car was converted before delivery to a RS look a like with all the real bits and is still around - the last time I saw it it was on Victorian plates at Phillip island historic races. The silver one was for sale at cts in 2012 and I think I saw it on Victorian plates in Melbourne earlier this year

The last one was a sporto. I am not certain but i think that an Albert blue car that was in Queensland until recently may be australian delivered and the elusive sporto which I don't have any records for
                      Hugh Hodges
                      1973 E
                      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                        Of the 6 4 were 5 sp, one a 4 sp and one a sporto.

There is a silver on in Melbourne , was originally a four speed, that is the one peter Posted the link to

of the 4 5sp cars one orange one I don't know anything about, one yellow one was in an accident back in the day and converted to a rally car in south Australia but I don't know where that is presently, one viper green car was converted before delivery to a RS look a like with all the real bits and is still around - the last time I saw it it was on Victorian plates at Phillip island historic races. The silver one was for sale at cts in 2012 and I think I saw it on Victorian plates in Melbourne earlier this year

The last one was a sporto. I am not certain but i think that an Albert blue car that was in Queensland until recently may be australian delivered and the elusive sporto which I don't have any records for
                        Thanks Hugh!

Comment

Working...
                        X