Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Find - Decaying Service Invoices

Hi Guys

Today I decided to fix the accelerator pedal so it was easier to drive around my yard. In doing so I uncovered a few rotting service records. You can see from the pics they are only just legible but help to give a bit of history for the US 1973.5.

The records indicate the same owner from at least 1976 to 1986. They also add to the possibility that the car has original mileage. Interestingly the last record stops at 51,403miles and the speedo currently has 51,419miles. The rego sticker that was on the car was 1987. So if the speedometre isn't broken it would seem it was driven home and stored... I know that from the time it came to Australia (2007) it had not been driven... Now to prove the 20yrs between.
    Attached Files
    Tom Laube
    Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
    VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

What a great find Tom! And what a strange place to find the documents. Hopefully they weren't being used to soak up brake fluid from around your pedal cluster
    Great to be able to do some forensics on it all.

Comment

Paperwork is exactly where the mice put it
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Nice find Tom. Some careful glueing ahead? I was able to find some old receipts and dockets under the front trunk carpet and was eventually able to get on to the servicing shop in CA and then the second owner there for 20 years. He then sent me a large body of scanned documents and emails relating to work done, colours, etc. He remains interested in the car's progress.

It is a journey and I am still trying to find the family of the original owner. With the US records' data base it is possible to find almost anyone.

Mice and rust the two enemies of our searches.

Comment

Amazing find Tom
          Cam Arnott
          Looking for engine #6208151
          1970 911E (Sold)
          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
            Paperwork is exactly where the mice put it
            Spot on! Between the rust, brake fluid, gum nuts (or similar) and mice droppings there was not much left of them but very thankful for what there was.

Merv, that is fantastic! I am in the process of stalking all the M. Nobletts in the U.S. on Facebook.
            Tom Laube
            Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
            VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Try the Criminal History check site Tom - after establishing that there is none (hopefully) it goes on an on ...

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Love it.

Comment

Working...
                X