69S begins its transformation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

69S begins its transformation

I took my car to get the nasty oil leak checked out compltely and did a compression and leak down test at the same time.

Passed the compression test fine 165 plus on all cyclinders leak down not quite so good 3 cylinders less than 5% 3 between 10 and 15%. Goes to show forget comp tests get a leakdown done.

Problems seemed to be on the exhaust side as air could be felt coming from the exhaust pipe so maybe slightly bent valves, burt valves, poor seating or similar. Car didn't smoke at all but I had a feeling it wasn't running at max capacity.

Bottom line is the oil leak is at the back of the case behind the pulley so have to pull the whole motor apart to fix anyway so what the heck looks like we will be running a fresh engine of sorts at Phillip Island.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Sorry to hear that Clyde, sounds like a top end rebuild on the way then?

Or are you going to pull the whole thing apart?
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Hey Clyde, ever thought of having a RS spec engine built up to drop into whatever early car you’re driving at the time? Means you could just put this engine aside and reinstall it when its time to sell.
      Paul Wischer
      1969 911T
      1979 Californian Moke
      TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

easier solution, drop the 2.7 from the green car in. I know you would have to put some other bits in to make it run right, but would be easier!!!! Rip it out again when it is done!
        Alex Webster
        A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

What green car Alex? but don't panic folks it'll be back together before you kbnow it.
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President

Comment

sorry yellow! Me and my colours!
            Alex Webster
            A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

what about fitting a 13B rotary with NOS!

sorry, just went and saw F&F 3 - Tokyo Drift...

Comment

ps: alex can direct you to a pretty fresh 2.5 for sale

Comment

sorry, just went and saw F&F 3 - Tokyo Drift...
                  Ryan, "Sorry" is right...I went last week...that's two hours of my life I'm not going to get back.

AV
                  Andrew Vidler

72T

Comment

I'm totally avoiding that show... life is too short as it is.

Comment

aw c'mon - it was great! tough crowd...

Comment

Well news is not all bad thank heavens.

Seems as though an incorrectly sized O ring was fitted to the front of the crank hence the major oil leakage.

Pistons and liners all good, camshaft and crankshaft all good, all main bearings excellent so the car has probably been opened in the not too disant past.

Put some new plastic bearings in the shifter as the gearbox was fine but lots of sideways movement of the gear lever was possible.

Cause of air leaks in exhaust valves seems to be incorrect seating so the valve wasn't completely closing you can see by the deposits where they were not sealing.

So some new rings while its apart, valve grind , maybe some new guides while its apart etc for the heads and we are back in business. Expensive oil leak though!

Great to see under the car in pretty good shape for 37 years old. No obvious rust underneath anyway!
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

Its back home today..hooray, still waiting for the 74 carrera though
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President

Comment

... safe drive home then !!

the time as come to leave work (well, our Tooheys bar anyway) and turn that ignition key for 1/2 hour of fun !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X