No announcement yet.

Short shift kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The above wear pattern is simply a product of several hundred thousand shifts over half a century...

You can definitely extend the life of your ZF based gearboxes by slowing your shifts and not racing through the ratios. Some people will tell you to 'double clutch'... That's fine (and sounds cool), but it's going UP through the gears which can contribute heavily to wear when swirling the box like a Toyota Corolla's
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks for the pic

If I understand the mechanism correctly those horizontal springs give you the resistance moving left to right and metal to metal contact would give you the limit stop. So that wear would give you perhaps a little too much travel in one direction but provided the ball and socket that the stick rides in is ok you won't actually have sloppiness.

Comment

I've taken the shifter out and now I can actually see how it works. Those springs are only to provide resistance engaging reverse (on my 4 speed) mine shows the same wear that Johns picture showed but that only affects reverse engagement. Interestingly on the 3rd and 4th gear side there is a circular cutout allowing more movement around 4th gear. In the Porsche manual it mentions checking for some free play on the linkage when in 5th gear (same position on the dog leg 'box) which must be present. So there must be something to do with the selectors in side the gearbox in that gear only.

So there's no resistance in the shift lever itself between the forward gears. What you are feeling when you change gear is the just the gearbox. I'm not sure if the aftermarket ones have additional springs or stops.
        Attached Files

Comment

The hand throttle lever arm had completely fallen apart
          Attached Files

Comment

Do you have replacement spares Andrew? You can have mine and replace later if you want?
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

It doesn't seem that my shifter itself has any play in it. If I push downward I can get it to move slightly as it compresses the spring (17) This spring pushes the gearshift upwards and keeps it tight in the socket of the housing and presumably compensates for slight wear in the ball part.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks John

Perhaps I will get that from you then I can finish up with shifter and handbrake and then just wait for the coupler.

I'll text you.

Comment

John

Sent you a PM but don't think it went through. Is your mobile still 0401xxx310?

Comment

Sent you a message
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

Andrew are you buying a new coupler or the new coupler bushing?

Comment

I'm buying a whole new upgraded coupler.

Comment

Working...
                        X