TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would targas become more valuable like 356 convertibles, or would coupes always rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would targas become more valuable like 356 convertibles, or would coupes always rule?

I read an interesting discussion on another board and thought I would bring it here.

Apparently in the early days, 356 convertibles were looked down upon when compared to 356 coupes by 356 enthusiasts, for similar reasons that 911 enthusiasts prefer coupes over targas - the lack of chassis stability, decreased ability to track the car etc.

However, as we all know, 356 convertibles (all varieties, not just the pre-A speedsters) are all now more valuable than their coupe equivalents.

Do you think that in the future, early 911 targas will go down the same route as 356 convertibles, and become more valuable than early 911 coupes? We know that soft-window targas are already there... just wondering.

FWIW, I prefer coupes myself, after having driven a targa for a few years. I'm not talking about preference, but more about future value and collectability.
    Yes, early 911 targas will be like the current 356 convertibles and fetch a premium over coupes.
    9.09%
    No, early 911 coupes will always be more desirable and therefore valuable.
    90.91%

Erwin,
    Speedster's were the base model in the USA. Funny isn't it! Now they are commanding over $200k US for a perfect concourse car!
    Coupes in a 356's have been a lower value for as long as I can remember... whether or not the Targa will do the same I am not sure. The experts will be able to tell us how many more/less Targa's were built, and it is an interesting concept.
    I know I like Targa's especially in a warm climate, however I think the coupe has a nicer 'line' to it.
    A soft window is fantastic, with the rear down but the top on, it is a great way to go motoring. I guess the soft window aspect of value is because of the limited production that the car got compared to normal targa's....

Let the debate begin!
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Being an architect and therefore marginally more adept at matters of form (appearance) then content (how it works), I can say that in a design context the Targa lacks the purity and sense of UNITY of the coupe. The coupe flows in an organic, sexy way where the Targe has an inconsistent hiccup in its roofline. Coitus interruptus if you like.

My 2 roberts worth.

tonyc

Comment

For a man who has traded his 2.4S Targa for G Series (like that Justin) Carrera Targa I am crying in the corner now!

I agree with you Tony but for some reason I am unable to expalin I like the Targas.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Dont worry Clyde, we are talking about the finer points of excellence here...sort of like do you prefer Chateau Latour to Chateau Lafite if you like.

and I have to say pulling the roof panel off is a huge plus for most people - function over form as they say. Mind you I was forever turned off open cars many years ago when I owned a 190SL. I was regularly surprised by what some people would lob in on you while you were motoring along minding your own business.

tony

Comment

I’m not keen on the older models but I love the new 997 targa

http://www.porsche.com/all/skydriving/australia.aspx

Select elegance
            Click on the image in the top right and play with the roof switch.

Now thats engineering!

Comment

OK, now I'm feeling a little out numbered voting for targas... aside from any preference for coupe or targas (yes, I quite like targas...), there are less of them than coupes... supply and demand with drive prices up.

...and they are only going to get rarer as they rust away with that leaky roof!

New ones on the other hand... I don't think i would say no if someone gave me one!

Rich
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
              X