X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my day...

Hi all

Thought I would tell you about my day…

Got up this morning and thought that the chance of a drive was slipping away fast… so made a dash for the door before Claire had finished her cup of coffee! Thank god she understands!!!

Headed for Kinglake – quiet roads which I know reasonably well (from when I used to ride them on my Ducati about 4 years ago). It was really foggy which made things interesting – between rubbish tyres, collapsed torsion bar bushes and needing new windscreen wipers, I soon had a jeep up my a^&* trying to get past! Ah well, I’m just getting to know my baby, not be a hero! And I was certainly fairing better than all the cyclists!!!!

Anyway, it was a great run. Nice to get away from stop-start traffic for once. Managed to get home on the same tank which amazed me! Can anyone with a 2.7 (Clyde!) or 2.8 give me an idea on how far they would get on a full tank (60L)?? I have no idea what’s normal, but I am heading for about 150 miles I think.

So, I got home at about 11:30am and Claire wants to go grocery shopping… in the 911!!!! And this is the best bit… we got the whole lot under the bonnet! Nothing on the back seats! Ok, it was slightly less than normal (about $110 instead of $140)… but still, who would have thought!?!?

Then the shocks just kept coming! After we had spent some time in the garden planting a new hedge (to cover up a really ugly fence)… Claire wants to take it for a drive!!! Who am I to question why? So, we headed for the industrial estate nearby… and would you believe it, for a girl who loves the comforts of her auto Astra, she did really well! She even says it drives like my old piece of cr^& (which it doesn’t… that piece of cr^& was a 1981 2.6L Mitsubishi Scorpion…). Anyway, aside from not giving it enough revs, Claire managed to get it round the block a few times – enough for me to feel comfortable enough if she had to drive me home from a big night… might think twice about letting her loose on an unofficial club run though!!!

So, all up it was a good day…

Cheers

Rich

P.S. Clyde – I really, really owe you a drive!!!!
    Attached Files
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

All good Richard but do me a favour please and remove that horrible Porsche logo from the front fender will you.

Way to go Claire!
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Oh no, I like that Porsche logo and was going to add a pair to my front fenders...

I drove a '77 which was 2.7 but that's obviously CIS so more fuel-efficient than carbs and had an 80 litre tank - lasted me 2 weeks driving to and from the city back home in the eastern suburbs daily, not bad.

Comment

Rich
        Ask Clyde what happened when he removed the stick-on numbers from the doors on his 69S.
        Nice shade of grey undercoat Clyde!
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

yeah, and the paint aint so good on mine either... but get some of the original green coming through!

Anyway, they really, really do have to go!! Phil suggested a hair-dryer and some of that citrus/lemon cleaner...

and their is also the PCV sticker on the rear bumber which should come of as well...

Next weekend maybe...

Cheers

Rich
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Not the most fuel efficient cars in the world! Between the recent ‘unofficial Saturday morning run’ and the Attwood day I used around 1.5 tanks of premium.
            Paul Wischer
            1969 911T
            1979 Californian Moke
            TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Geez, just did the maths:

my 911 is doing very roughly 9 miles per gallon or 25 L/100kms...

According to Chuck Miller on the early S board, he gets about 9 mpg when doing 10/10ths on the track!!

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ead.php?t=6064

Glad I'm not using it as a daily driver!

Rich
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich

It seems a little excessive!!! Have you had the timing and carb tune checked since you've had it?
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Cam

Nope, it's on the (very long) to do list though... :-)!

Rich
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

mine is around the 2.4 / 2.5 level.
                    Running on temporary parts in the Webers whilst awaiting the correct ones, it was down to 100miles/normal ~60Ltank (98 octane from BP/Mobil)
                    Now with the proper parts and tuning, it's at around 160 miles/tank consistently ... which includes regular school runs and daily 'to work' driving.

Comment

Thanks Guys

From eveyone's responses it would look like my fuel consumption is a bit high but not so high that I should stop driving it...!!

Going to get that darn sticker off this weekend...

Cheers

Rich
                      Richard Griffiths
                      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                      X