Full tank: Ouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full tank: Ouch

Just filled up the car tonight, $ 78.00 plus lead additive. Ouch. It's getting to the stage where you have to factor this in on the cost of a night out. Babysitter, dinner, drinks, parking and a full tank for the 901.

I suppose we shouldn't complain though as I just read in the English GT magazine that it cost 75 quid (do the English have different keyboards to us, there is no pound symbol on mine) to fill his 911S.

I've paid into the $90's but not the dreaded ton yet,

tonyc

Comment

Way over the ton last time I took the 100 litre 69S to the pumps!!!!!!
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I think I paid about $1.64 a litre the other day up here for BP Ultimate.....

Thinking about lashing out for a 20 litre drum of BP 100 race fuel for the track on the weekend.....except its 57 bucks worth....! A lot of money for a couple of extra octane points
        Cam Arnott
        Looking for engine #6208151
        1970 911E (Sold)
        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Watching the tv the other night there was footage of a servo forecourt in the uk 96.7p per litre, about $2.20AUD!!! really ouch
          Craig
          12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
          1972 2.4E Targa project
          1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Craig,

Yeah, which is a problem when you are spending AUD...
            but when you earn and spend GBP it actually works out pretty similar...

OK, so this is going to sound dumb, but is the only benefit to a 100L tank extra range? The only downside is less boot space? Maybe I should get a 100L tank with centre fill pipe and go the rgruppe look...? (OK, so everyone should have worked out by now that I am a dreamer!)

Rich
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich, the 100 L centre fill tank ( a real one) will cost you around $6000 so the cost of the gas will be of little consequence.

I suggest you get the car tuned and running as well as possible, ensuring any leaks are all fixed (new fuel hoses is a good start) and try not to be a lead foot around town.

I can get over 250 miles from my 65L tank in the 2.4E when driven on the h'way. And thats probably only using 60 L.
              Last edited by e72phil; 20-07-06, 08:32 PM.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

My ex-77 911 targa was quite economical (relatively) with CIS - it had an 80L tank. My understanding is that carburettors are very thirsty, more so than MFI. So it's going to be an expensive proposition with the price of fuel climbing to $1.50...

Comment

Rich - not really, cost of living over there is higher than here so disposable income is generally less.
                  Paul Wischer
                  1969 911T
                  1979 Californian Moke
                  TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Ouch... $6K for a 100L tank!?!? Think how many tankfuls of petrol I could get for that... think we'll pass on that one!

So, what do we think we are going to run these cars on when the oil runs out?

Paul - I lived in London for a while and came to the conclusion that things which involved land or wages cost more (eg rent or eating out)... but anything else was generally the same if not a bit cheaper - eg. a coke was normally cheaper than here (about $1.50), but a fresh cup of coffee was a killer $5!! If you can keep your accomodation costs under control (which is a mammoth challenge in itself) everything else generally works out ok.

Now Europe is a place to live if you like looking at nice cars... just go and hang out in Chelsea or near Harrods... !!! you can't keep track of the ferrari's, let alone the porsches!

Cheers

Rich
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

tut tut Clyde shouldnt run your tank to empty before refill so I m told.

tonyc

Comment

hmmmm retraction in order didnt realise the 69S had a 100 litre tank - geez you will be hitting a ton and half per tank soon Clyde.

tonyc

Comment

which reminds me, here are a couple of pics of a carrera GT on the streets of oxford... this is when they had barely been released, so you can see the attention it was getting! couldn't see the owner anywhere (I certainly wouldn't let it out of my sight!!).

Imagine how much that'd cost to fill!!!

Cheers

Rich
                          Attached Files
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Actually, thinking about the cost of living compared to the UK... when I lived up further north in Newcastle my disposable income was basically zero... AND it snowed... I know it is cold here in Melbourne at the moment, but at least it doesn't snow! Imagine trying to drive a 901 in the snow?!?

Australia is much better!

Rich

P.S. to try and get back on topic... my last tank set me back about $84... trying to resist the temptation to write down every fill-up like my dad used to in the e-type!
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Funny about your observations about the cost of a ‘coffee’ – we use this as a benchmark for the cost of living anywhere in the world. I found coffee in London pretty reasonable – say 3.50 to 4.00AUD – as late as Nov last year - which I have paid in the Eastern suburbs here. You’re right though the cost of living is highly dependant on where you are, I lived in W.Kensington for a bit which was reasonable- though I think it was more settling into the pub culture and living out of restaurants which got financially a little out of hand.
                              Paul Wischer
                              1969 911T
                              1979 Californian Moke
                              TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Working...
                              X