Ventilation Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ventilation Controls

I want to remove the ventilation controls in the dash to fix a minor electrical gremlin (won’t go to 3 speed setting) and potentially refub the fascia. Can anyone who has done this shed any light? Searched Pelican / Early S but there is nothing there relevant to an early car and can’t find any reference in my set of shop manuals.

Also – are the red and blue squares supposed to illuminate – from what I can make out it looks like there is the provision for bulbs in the back of the panel (from what I can see.

Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke
    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Got it! Who would have thought for the first time ever I wasn’t using enough force – just needed some ‘persuasion’ to pop out.
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Originally posted by Paul W
      I
      Also – are the red and blue squares supposed to illuminate – from what I can make out it looks like there is the provision for bulbs in the back of the panel (from what I can see.

paul

My Blue one has a globe and does illuminatewhen the fan is on. Maybe the lights have t be on as well but I cant remember
      the red one did not have a globe in it or wires to connect to it when i last had it apart (about 5 years ago) I wondered then as well and would be interested to hear the answer
      Hugh Hodges
      1973 E
      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hi Hugh

Mine looks like it only has the provision (ie wiring) for one globe. Might put the multimeter on it and see if like yours it is triggered by the fan switch.
        Paul Wischer
        1969 911T
        1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Paul,

It is and they aften fail and yes you should only have a globe for the blue light which is supposed to come on once the fan is activated on one of its three speeds.

Fun part is geeting the wires reconnected in the correct spot so that the levers work correctly and air goes where it should and the levers move from one side to the other.
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

For those who have undertaken this little project, can the facia plate be replaced or does the whole unit need to go.

Cheers
            Paul Wischer
            1969 911T
            1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Fixed the electrical issues - nothing that a dremel with a wire brush fitting couldn’t handle. The mechanicals are pristine just the fascia’s that is a little shabby so I’ll have to work out what to do. I have one light globe holder wired into the loom and according to my multimeter it comes on when the fan is on.

Couple of questions…
              Does anyone know where I can get a bulb to fit this holder; it’s an odd size?

Secondly can anyone shed ay light on the function of the wire below? Can’t make it out on the wiring diagram and it’s coloured brown with a white stripe.

Cheers
              Attached Files
              Paul Wischer
              1969 911T
              1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Paul,

I believe that the red indicator is to show if the gas heater is on.
                Irrelevant therefore for RHD cars.

Cheers,
                Dennis.

Comment

Dennis, that makes sense.
                  Last edited by Paul W; 23-07-06, 05:48 PM.
                  Paul Wischer
                  1969 911T
                  1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Porsche sell the bulbs Paul
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

Paul if you mean the chrome yes it can be replaced if you mean the black I am not sure but don't think so from my previous experience.

I have a nice chrome surround if your stuck
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

Hi Clyde,

Chrome surround is perfect - just the black portion which is tired. Have aPorscheaprt looking for a replacement for me.

Any idea what the mystery wire is from?

How did you go with your dash speaker grill?
                        Paul Wischer
                        1969 911T
                        1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Paul the brown cable/white trace(br/wh) looks to be the switched +ve that goes to to the glove compartment light,after activation of the glove compartment switch ,as per my 69 wiring diagram,fault finding and wiring issues dont you just love the challenge.#*@$% Graham
                          GRC930, Graham

Comment

Hi Graham, thanks for the feedback. Are you referring to the door switch trigger for this light?

You’re right there can be a world of frustration trying to trouble shoot electrics on older cars though luckily the wiring on mine is reasonably unmolested, save the loom for the radio installed by the PO.
                            Paul Wischer
                            1969 911T
                            1979 Californian Moke

Comment

yes Paul , the glove box door
                              GRC930, Graham

Comment

Working...
                              X