Recaro Sport seat repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recaro Sport seat repairs

One of the issues in restoring recaro sports seats is the destruction of the foam cushion pads after 40 some years.

We have tried various foam cutters and foam styles in the past to replicate originals but its not easy with the shape of the side bolsters but seat manafacturer Deser (Italy) who do a great sport seat repro are now making the cushions available too.

I bought a set to give them a try they were not cheap but not expensive either given the cost of a set of seats these days.
    Attached Files
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

With the price of genuine sports seats, now starting to considerably outstrip their actual value and condition, perhaps the full Deser copy might be a good option for many players?

Comment

What years are these for Clyde?
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

These are what Deser use for the 69-73 seats they make not sure if they suit 68 or earlier as I have never had an early set of sports seats or early car for that matter.

I have checked with Deser and their seats will bolt straight up to original recaro tilt frames.

Deser make a perfect reproduction side recliner so if you had original tilt frames and no/or totally stuffed seats a cheaper solution would be to buy 2 Deser seats and attach to frames

Available here

Deser sell the complete package but their tilt frames have a modern for and aft mechanism...sad really as otherwise they could have destroyed the original seat market
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

If they ever make a repro' of the original tilt frames, the hyped market for 'originals' will suffer further, or become super elite and unobtainable. These excellent reproductions, using the same materials folk use to restore originals, will be well received it seems.

Comment

Eric Linden makes a perfect L & R repro tilt mech for SWB cars (they are available by request now) - his hold up is the slider mech; it is a complex extrusion. He's in line for a small batch run, but the batch size is so small he keeps getting pushed back. These are the 'tulip' shaped rails used on the Recaro and Scheel originals - so I know they'll get snapped up once available. Hoping for this year!

I am confident there are talented enough upholsterers available here in Australia, but the final result hinges a lot on the getting the shape just right. If the Desser units do the job, then that's a fair chunk of the battle done.
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

Interesting John. His work is really good, based on my experience of his 128 Hellas.

Comment

I think we all agree that Eric really sets the benchmark for 'reproduction' in the Porsche world. He won't let it out until it's absolutely as good as can be.
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                  If they ever make a repro' of the original tilt frames, the hyped market for 'originals' will suffer further, or become super elite and unobtainable. These excellent reproductions, using the same materials folk use to restore originals, will be well received it seems.
                  They have and its quite good but instead of the handle release on the side for for and aft it has a bar under the front of the seat.

I don't understand why they went to the trouble of getting everything 95% correct, which it is, but not 100%
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

Just finished a set of double lockers seats I was working on 73 style vinyl from Tony Garcia, houndstooth from Phil Lack.

Think they look pretty good, frames and runners all restored too and yes all the phillips head screws line up
                    Attached Files
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

They look great Clyde. Were they stitched up locally or did Tony G do them and then send?
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

I got them done locally they are very good but not as good as Tony does.

Might try getting Tony to stitch up the next lot and get my man to put them in place.
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

They look great, Clyde.
                          Damian Royce
                          TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

continuing this thread........

I have for some months now been working with David from Carrera Motor Trimming (Lindsay Fox trimmer when he was into 356's) to create perfect patterns for recaro sports seats 1969-1973

I had recently purchased 2 sets of seats and there was one untouched seat in each set so we were able to carefully disassemble these amazing condition seats and David has taken perfect pattern copies. Passenger side one from a RHD car and one from a LHD car so not so much use.

Recaro used a fabric backing for the material on the seat and backrest and he has been able to source very similar too. A bit like the coloured felt found as underlay fro many carpets. Most trimmers use foam these days.

David has also sourced new backrest and seat foams in correct density foam and we know you can buy all the side foams from a number of suppliers (made by Deser in Italy)

The only thing we cannot source for originality is the webbing under the seat, he has found some in the correct size which is critical but it is not the off white colour.

To test everything he is producing some seats for my light yellow 73E with the dark tan interior and brown houndstooth.

It had comfort seats with dark tan and brown houndstooth originally so getting an upgrade.

Hopefully all works out great then we will have a source for correct patterns here in Australia and all you would need is a local trimmer to fit/install

Now I know some of you will say the grain in the vinyl I have chosen is too course and that may be correct however it is bloody close to the dash trim pieces and the rest of the car has been subject to stretching and sun
                            so I suspect not too far from original. Grain pattern is excellent but depth of the grain m,ay be the issue

We will see

Colour is a near perfect match which is great for others looking for this dark brown material
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Terminator; 25-06-16, 02:49 PM.
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President

Comment

I see you managed to get some of that dark tan Clyde. I will be using mine soon on my drivers seat, as the material matches the passenger seat (in excellent condition) perfectly.

Currently doing the carpets with the help of Tony Garcia. Great value.

Comment

Working...
                              X