Mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mufflers

I have noticed an annoying rattle that would come and go whilst driving. It wouldn't happen at any particular rev range it was just a random rattle.
    With the help of Phil Hearn, we traced it back to the muffler. It appears that one of the baffles has broken off insde.
    So the question is, what brand/type of muffler to replace it with? The car has SSI's and I've heard that a S/S muffler in combination with these will be very noisy and tiring for long trips.
    All for extra horse power but not if it sacrifices comfort as I've still got to get the family in the car.
    Any opinions or recommendations out there?

Brett, I've got a stainless aftermarket sport muffler on mine, not sure of the brand, it is on the boderline as far as comfort goes- (I have done a Melb-Byron Bay- Melb trip though & my hearing survived) I'll see if I can ID the brand.

I also my be interested in taking your "stuffed" muffler off your hands.

cheers
    Michael
    MichaelJapp
    71E
    Typ901 #065
    EarlyS #798

Comment

Brett,I just refitted my twin pipe muffler (see pics on Irish green thread). It is almost too noisy.Its a stainless Monty. I am addicted to the sound though & I can live with it (just). My engine is standard 2.0 t, no real power gains but sounds like 300hp.

Comment

Very tempting to put something noisy on, especially like the twin pipe look. But, I"ve still got to get the kids in the back and it's getting harder and harder to sell them the idea that the 901's the best car in the world when it's cramped, noisy and no decent stereo.

Comment

Have a Bursch S/S muffler fitted to my SSI's and it's great. Many years ago i did a run to Sydney return in the car and the noise was fine. Mind you if I could find a decent twin pipe in stainless for the right price...
          Paul Wischer
          1969 911T
          1979 Californian Moke
          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Michael,

I have an original which came of a carbie 2.2T if thats any good to you its currently in the trailer waiting the trip to the tip!

Brett be careful MFI and aftermarket mufflers don't mix from my experience although I know others who disagree. Many tests have shown no horsepower gains over the factory ones just noise gains.
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Clyde, fish it out so I can play!!!

Michael
              MichaelJapp
              71E
              Typ901 #065
              EarlyS #798

Comment

Clyde, I've heard the same thing and so any advice is welcomed.

Comment

Working...
                X