Fog Lamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fog Lamps

This topic may have been discussed before - but - I want to ask members their view or preference for Fog Lamps on the 901's.

Do you think they:
    1. Add to the car's styling (even if not that practical)
    2. Detract from the car's styling
    3. Detract (but are functional enough to make sense),
    4. Neutral on styling but functional

If you are positive on them - where do you think they look/perform best - underneath or on top of the bumper.

cheers
    Mark Evans
    1966 912 5 gauge
    1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Thru the grille is the only place they look any good and more functional there too especially if you go for driving not fog lights as they did exist
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Love 'em. Mine came fitted with Hella 128s (fogs) under the bumper. I have maintained that for originality. I also found some hard to find year-correct Carellos driving lights and fitted TTG, using an original bracket design from around 1967.

The original headlights on the early cars are pretty poor and these add some necessary 'lumens'.

Warning however, to have serious $$ ready if you go this way with original period items.

Putting proper relays in the head light system can also be an excellent idea and much cheaper, if that is an issue.

Cars in the 60's almost always had extra lights for night driving rallies and are part of the 'period' look. By the later 70's as headlamps improved, they were less common it seems.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Merv; 15-04-16, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I like both the 'under bumper' and 'TTG' look. As far as fog lights go I think you get the same function out of either........I've only used my 'under bumper' fog lights once in anger, and they performed as well as a modern version.

I think the 'TTG' 'Driving light' option is a great addition to the illumination level supplied by the H1's especially.

Comment

Hi Mark,

I like them and fitted some TTG lights to my car.

My brother in law, who is a car designer, hates them with a passion. He says they ruin the lines of the 911. I say that, n spite of what he does for a living, he has no idea 😄

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

thanks to all.

You see a lot of the early 911's with fog lamps - it seemed to be a real 1960's & early 1970's sort of thing.

My own preference is for the under bumper, which seem to be smaller, more discrete and has less impact on the car's silhouette.

The above one's are also nice and give a sense of rally driving!
            Mark Evans
            1966 912 5 gauge
            1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Some can't get enough of them!
              Attached Files

Comment

Underneath seems to be more balanced
                Attached Files
                Mark Evans
                1966 912 5 gauge
                1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Agreed, under bumper are defiantly more balanced looking.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X