Hubs refit - Help pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hubs refit - Help pls

Hi, I fitted my rebuilt front hubs up to my struts this week. There is a picture below of the resultant gap between oil seal and the spacer ring. It's about 1/4 inch.

There is also a gap of about 1/4 inch between the oil seal inside face and the outside of the bearing on the inside - ie a lot of freeplay.

I've also attached a picture of the oil seal in place - in case I've got this wrong.

Some possible clues - I happily bought spacer ring, bearings and oil seal based on a '69 car/struts - when I think about it the struts are newish and the thrust washer that fits is an 18mm one - could I have mixed and matched bearings/spacer or the like?

It all doesn't seem quite right to me? Could someone help please?

Thanks

Julian
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JulianG; 17-04-16, 01:23 PM.

Are you 100% you've seated the bearing races?
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John,

I had a local mechanic press my hub bolts and the races for me. I "assumed" this was done correctly .....the mother of all failure... when I poke around there and push the bearing down as far as I can with my fingers there is about a 1/4 inch space between the top face of the bearing and the inside face of the oil seal.

I don't have enough knowledge to know if this is right?

Thanks

Julian

Comment

There should be no space between the races and the step/lip they are pressed against, same for the oil seal. I have made this mistake before - you can 'crank' the hub down and pull the bearings together, but only if you're sure the races are in square.

Until you get it right, you'll never get the required bearing preload sorted and the wheel will always get loose.
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

OK, thanks John, I'll give it a try.

Julian

Comment

Working...
          X