Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the correct finish for a 1971

Hi,
    I've stripped the front suspension from the car and stripped off the old bodyseal. What's the correct finish for arches and underbody? These were black prior to stripping. I've read a few places that this should be body colour. The car is tangerine.

Also what colour should the petrol tank be?

Is the water based Wurth SKS stoneguard correct?

Thanks, Jason
    Last edited by jason; 19-04-16, 03:52 PM.

Jason,

As i can testify, that is an enormous question....here is a good reference, but you will always find exceptions, and if you want to get really serious reference books and google will become your only friend for the next year or so...

Have a look, and I'm sure others will chime in.

Updated some details and price https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1rxn746fcdvkhj/AACib_L2Fz0FllZLHMSeMS6Sa?dl=0 VIN - 9111121839 Engine - 6116836 Asking $69,000 and I will be happy to discuss serious reasonable offers. (Please note - the steering wheel and fog light switch ARE NOT included with the car. The original 400mm wheel is included and has great leather on 80% of it, but the top got sun baked and is trashed down to the rubber). Hopefully the link above works. I have in excess

Just seen the link doesn't come up - search Early 911s Registry for the thread "Fs: 1971 911t"

Julian
    Last edited by JulianG; 19-04-16, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianG View Post
      Jason,

As i can testify, that is an enormous question....here is a good reference, but you will always find exceptions, and if you want to get really serious reference books and google will become your only friend for the next year or so...

Have a look, and I'm sure others will chime in.

Updated some details and price https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1rxn746fcdvkhj/AACib_L2Fz0FllZLHMSeMS6Sa?dl=0 VIN - 9111121839 Engine - 6116836 Asking $69,000 and I will be happy to discuss serious reasonable offers. (Please note - the steering wheel and fog light switch ARE NOT included with the car. The original 400mm wheel is included and has great leather on 80% of it, but the top got sun baked and is trashed down to the rubber). Hopefully the link above works. I have in excess

Just seen the link doesn't come up - search Early 911s Registry for the thread "Fs: 1971 911t"

Julian
      Hey Julian,
      Thanks for that link. The tank was really clear - so that's sorted. The underbody on mine under all the grime seems to be a beige/grey. Same as the car in the link. The only thing about that car is that it's almost that colour too.

The arches were probably body colour (but since overpainted with black underbody). I'm sure things changed over the years too.

Comment

The link has a dropbox link with over 150 pictures in it - a useful reference as well Jason.

Julian

Comment

Originally posted by JulianG View Post
          The link has a dropbox link with over 150 pictures in it - a useful reference as well Jason.

Julian
          I didn't notice the dropbox link before. Thanks. Definitely a good reference for my car.

Comment

This may also help - https://www.flickr.com/photos/807244...7630169538658/
            Cam Arnott
            Looking for engine #6208151
            1970 911E (Sold)
            '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
            2 x Split Screen Kombis
            TYP 901 Register # 78
            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by CamBiscuit View Post

Thanks Cam. This actually makes it more confusing. The tank in this one is almost black - I'm nearly sure the tank should be grey. The arches are black too. Underbody is grey - but I can't tell if that's because the car is silver and it's actually body colour.

Since posting I've been searching too and can't find consistency.

Hmmm

Comment

Underbody

I can't vouch for period correct.
                If you do decide to use Wurth underbody which can be applied with a spray can, I would highly recommend you POR 15 first.
                Rolls

Comment

And more:

Comment

Originally posted by roland paterson View Post
                    I can't vouch for period correct.
                    If you do decide to use Wurth underbody which can be applied with a spray can, I would highly recommend you POR 15 first.
                    Rolls
                    Hi Rolls, I'm definitely doing POR15. It's great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
                      Thanks Cam. This actually makes it more confusing. The tank in this one is almost black - I'm nearly sure the tank should be grey. The arches are black too. Underbody is grey - but I can't tell if that's because the car is silver and it's actually body colour.

Since posting I've been searching too and can't find consistency.

Hmmm
                      Looks pretty grey on my computer! Worth viewing the photos on a couple of devices to see if there is much variation in appearance. At least you know this one is as it was straight from the factory......
                      Cam Arnott
                      Looking for engine #6208151
                      1970 911E (Sold)
                      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                      2 x Split Screen Kombis
                      TYP 901 Register # 78
                      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Working...
                      X