Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repainting dash

Hi all,

The metal area around the 5 instruments is looking a bit faded and tired. (not sure why it wasn't repainted as part of the restoration).

As I have the 5 instruments out for cleaning and changing bulbs to LED, I was wondering whether I should attempt to repaint this small area. I think the colour is satin black.

However, painting this small area using a rattle can, even if I tape off surrounding areas and somehow shield the rest of the interior has the risk of disaster - black paint filling the cabin with all new interior.

Another option could be a super small highest quality hand roller but what would the finish look like?

Has anyone attempted this WITH the rest of the interior remaining in the car?

Or do I just except it.

Any thoughts very welcome.

cheers
    Mark Evans
    1966 912 5 gauge
    1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Spray it with a can. Wurth and Rustoleum make a satin black that looks great. Just cover everything and you will be fine. Look at Pelican for people who have posted doing the ame.

Comment

Should be no problem with a quality rattle can, as they have better nozzles as well as better paint (UPol,Wurth) or similar.
      Mask as you described, and have good ventilation, disposable drop sheets are only a couple of dollars, to cover seats etc.

Comment

Tim beat me to it.

Comment

Many of the old time car paint guys used brushes with slower drying paint. High quality brush with a satin black enamel if you are worried?

Comment

Or sit the tin of paint in a bath of hot water. Brush the warm paint on. Awesome finish.

Comment

But I would use a rattle can as Tim and Chris have already mentioned.

Comment

Many thanks for your opinions. I will forge ahead and take a before and after photo to post.
                Mark Evans
                1966 912 5 gauge
                1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Hi Mark

Is the switch to LED for the gauges simple?

Cheers
                  Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
                    Hi Mark

Is the switch to LED for the gauges simple?

Cheers
                    Adam
                    a ten year old could do it Adam,
                    GRC930, Graham

Comment

Hi Adam. Agree.

Easy to access instruments (compared to my MB that was a 2 day job!) and very easy to actually replace but, the real trick is getting the type of LED that:[*]substitutes the BA 7 2W, [*]fits the globe holders OK, [*]provides sufficiently wide beam rather than too narrow[*]gives off a white colour that you find OK (I prefer a "softer" white)[/LIST]

cheers
                      Mark Evans
                      1966 912 5 gauge
                      1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Thanks Mark

What LED's did you buy?

Cheers
                        Adam

Comment

Hi Adam.

For the dash I have ordered some "vintage white" from: www.carmagic.us

Have not received them yet but will let you know.

For my rear tail lights (and stop) & reverse and front parkers I have used some from: www.brightlightautoparts.com

Bright light autoparts (in Bayswater) did not have the BA7's with 180/270/360 degree not in a vintage white.

For my MB is used some from superbrightled in the US that were a softer white.
                          Mark Evans
                          1966 912 5 gauge
                          1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Thanks Mark

Comment

Hi Mark

Any photos of the finished dash?
                              When I got mine it had vinyl behind the gauges, I didn't realize that it was painted.

Cheers
                              Ash
                              1971 911E
                              1993 964 30 Jahre 'Jubilee' Edition Looking for engine 6218087

Comment

Working...
                              X