John Newell Porsche circa late 70s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Newell Porsche circa late 70s

Stumbled across these old pics from when John Newell where the Sydney Porsche dealers. And to think that 70 odd percent of the cars in the pics are probably still out there being driven... Well, except for the normally aspirated 924s... Maybe one or two are still rattling around the burbs.

Great photos Scotty.
    Something tells me he wasn't talking Porsche with the two girls ��
    Peter D

TYP901# 233
    911T Coupe 68
    911E Targa 73
    911E Coupe 72 (sold)
    1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Yes i know of one. My 79 model 930 Turbo was delivered by John Newell Porsche Centre on 24 November 1978. the ist service was conducted on 5 12 78 before the car went across to Perth where it was looked after by Autohaus Porsche in Perth.

Comment

Hi Scotty,

Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

I really must dig out all of the old Porsche photos I have and share them.

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Originally posted by SM911 View Post
          Stumbled across these old pics from when John Newell where the Sydney Porsche dealers. And to think that 70 odd percent of the cars in the pics are probably still out there being driven... Well, except for the normally aspirated 924s... Maybe one or two are still rattling around the burbs.

That looks like a Silver C3 that chick is leaning on! My silver C3 was a John Newell delivery...
          Mark Munro
          '69 911T (sold)
          '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
          '69 MG Midget Group S car
          TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Originally posted by markymark_1968 View Post
            That looks like a Silver C3 that chick is leaning on! My silver C3 was a John Newell delivery...
            Claim it!

Comment

That's when he was out at Bass Hill near Liverpool.

One of our neighbours had a friend who was their used car manager. His company car circa 1976/77 was an aubergine 2.4e targa.

Around 1979 they moved to Darlinghurst, and remained there until they stopped being a Porsche dealer around 1991.-
              Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
              1961 356B #114700
              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

On the 24.11.1978 when my 930 was delivered they were already at 83-97 Flinders Street Darlinghurst.

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post

One of our neighbours had a friend who was their used car manager. His company car circa 1976/77 was an aubergine 2.4e targa.

Around 1979 they moved to Darlinghurst, and remained there until they stopped being a Porsche dealer around 1991.-
                  If I remember correctly, he also had a small yard on Parramatta Rd at Burwood. It was on the corner of Neich Parade.
                  Scott Rackley
                  1977 Carrera 3.0

Comment

Great photos Scotty, thanks for sharing.

Harry please do share your collection - might start a good game of spot my car for the Aust delivered owners!
                    Mark Branson
                    1969 Australian Delivered 911 ST Replica.
                    TYP901 Register # 349

Comment

Bass Hill in 77
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by PeterS; 11-05-16, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Hmm, maybe those good looking ladies were leaning on your car then Peter...

Comment

Stand to be corrected but i believe that Scuderie took over from John Newell.

Comment

No svm has been a Porsche dealer since the mid 60's.

I was lucky enough to know the late David McKay and the Hamiltons were imnpressed with how he ran the SV Ferrari 250LM team....

Scuderia were in Lindfield for many years and then when purchased by the Suttons Group in the late 80's , early 90's they moved to their current premises in Willoughby.

The fellow in the picture is Dale Goodman I think - who was John Newell's right hand man / Sales Manager / General Manager for many years.
                            Justin Reed
                            aka Reedminor
                            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                            1961 356B #114700
                            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post

I remember driving past that car yard on the way into Sydney many, many years ago. Was surprised it was located where it was near Liverpool. Seemed a long way away from the eastern suburbs where most of the potential customers lived.
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                              Early 911-S Registry # 690
                              R-Gruppe # 367
                              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X