What New Tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What New Tyres?

OK guys, last weekends drive convinced me it is high time to replace the 8 year old Yokohama AV-1 195/65s on the cars 15" rims. They still have a good deal of tread on them but I wonder as they get harder and with limited driving are they ever going to wear out!

I figure I might average 2500 mile pa in the BlueS, so over six years or so thats only 15000 miles by the time the tyre compound is hardened up enough to warrant changing again.

That seems to suggest that I could go for something that was more about adhesion that longevity.

What do you think and what tyres would you recommend?

thank you in advance....

Tony,

Many are fans of the Bridgestones... my car has Yokohama a539's on it... and I'm very happy with them. Some would say they look a bit modern but I reckon they are good.

They offer a good grip, longevity compromise... and my mileage is similar to yours... Have a drive if you like.

There is also a replacement for the ev1... which is now the ev100 if I'm not mistaken.

Others would suggest you go with a P6000 Pirelli... there was considerable discussion about it on the old Yahoo site around 2 years ago (when I changed my tyres over)...

I've no doubt Carl will chime in with some sage advise.
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Tony,

P6000 on the Targa at Throttle Shop so you could check them out, Bridgestone G3 is another option, 205/60 is the size you want I think. I just put some Yokahama A550 on Lynnes' car and I am sure I checked if they were available in 15"s also.

The only issue with the P6000 is the size of the writing on the side wall. It annoyed me a little.
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Thanks guys - come on more opinions.

Clyde, like which is Lynnes car? Nice strategy for collecting 901s though...I buy them as presents for my wife.
        Sheeesh, good one mate.

Comment

Hers is a Mazda SP23 which after driving the new rocket ship the Mazda 3 MPS I am considering trading in for her!!!!

That thing has 190kw and absolutley flies, a real WRX basher I think at $48k with all the bells and whistles awesome mid speed acceleration with the turbo kicking in. I read somewhere its quicker from 80 - 120 than the 997 and it feels like it!
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President

Comment

Lynne, in a turbo ?? Yeah right.

Tony, back to the tyre discussion so nicely hijacked by Clyde, I would recommend the Bridgestone G III's as being an excellent all round tyre for your car. fantastic wet and dry weather grip and available in the 15" size. we are lucky to get such a nice tyre available in 15" as there's not much else to choose from. the Pirelli P6000 is more appropriate of you are more into the classic or period tyre given Pirelli was a tyre of the era.

Here's another interesting tyre recommende to me for use on my 911R replica - the Michelin TB15 - check this website for info:
            http://www.longstonetires.com/michelintb15.php

This is a classic looking tyre built using modern technology. It might be a proposition for your low mileage 911S, though not cheap at around $525 ea.

It is available in Australia.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Grant at Autohaus is thinking about it for me but his first call was Kumo (?) R spec tyres that he and Bill Pye used at Targa this year - he thinks they are good for 20 - 25K and will have fantastic grip.

thoughts from all you Fangios out there?

Hey Ryan what do you think?

Comment

Put on some advans and replace them every 2 years if its grip and performance you want.
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

Working...
                X