Australia's First 911 and 2nd ever RHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia's First 911 and 2nd ever RHD

I was lucky enough to inspect this last night, and can report the car is alive and well. The owner just wanted to remind people it was still around and had not been sold overseas or wrecked.

He acquired it in late 1988 and its been "resting" in a Sydney Collection since 1998/99.

Its silver - with the original Slate Grey showing under the nose, and on the door jambs. It appears to have been painted in the mid to late 70's. It was still grey in an early 70's cams log book. The interior is in time warp condition.

It was the second car built and was completed May 3 1965. It was collected by the then 22 year old Alan Hamilton. He stayed very near the old Solitude race circuit and would wake up early to put in a few quick laps. "It sounded magnificent through the forest!" he said in a Christophorus interview.

It was then the Hamilton's demonstrator and was then sold to Sydney's then dealer CH Mitchell in Woollahra. It even spent about 4 years of its life in the 80's less than 5 klms from where I grew up in Sydney!

I talked at length with the owner (who likes to fly below the radar) and have agreed to help / encourage a recommissioning prior to a significant Porsche event..... which is yet to be decided.

I love the history of this marque!
    Attached Files
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Looks superb Justin. I hope it doesn't get 'restored', except may to original paint. I like the Amco-type gear knob. I have one of those around as well.

Valuable car indeed.

Comment

Thought Stu had the 1st 911 in Oz ?
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Great to see a pic or two Justin !

From my notes that I've gathered over the years:

nd RHD chassis; VIN 300XXX (VIC rego JGL-911 in 1966)

The completion date was 3.5.65, completed just a few weeks earlier than mine. Colour: 6401 Slate Grey, Interior: Fawn/Beige.

Alan Hamilton told me at Rennsport 2013 that he was apprenticing in Stuttgart in 1965 and watched it and my car being built whilst he was at the factory. He then used it through Europe in '65 and then shipped out here at year’s end and it was used for a few months as the Hamiltons Demonstrator.

The Kardex has it listed as delivered to a Victorian customer in Feb 1966.

'119' was registered in Aust earlier than JGL-911

Comment

So does that make Justins mates car the first RHD car worldwide or are you still claiming that title ?

Howso if Alan Hamilton says he saw it built a few weeks before your car ?
          Last edited by e72phil; 02-06-16, 05:21 PM.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Sensational. Would be nice to see it taken back to original paint.

Comment

stu
              on the completion date, is that third of may or fifth of april (US way of writing it )
              I thought I had been told that it was completed at the same time as 300474, the bali blue UK AFN demonstrator (which i understand to be both the first constructed and lowest number RHD car) and I have as completed on 27/Jan / 1965. Not sure where I got that from- one of the UK guys I think.
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                So does that make Justins mates car the first RHD car worldwide or are yu still claiming that title ?

Howso if Alan Hamilton says he say it built a few weeks before your car ?
                Right.....here's the first four info I've put together over the years:

First RHD chassis; VIN 300XXX (UK reg MMU911C) UK first registered on 1.4.65. Bali Blue/Black. This VIN was completed in Feb ‘65. It’s interesting to understand these four cars were hand build in two lots of 2 consecutive chassis Nos, with the Hamilton 911,'119' and the sister silver car not completed until some time later than MMU911C. This in part is explained by the “hand built” theory in the special experimental/Werks dept. Was the AFN demonstrator and held by them till '66/67. Still alive and well in the UK.

2nd RHD; VIN 300XXX (VIC reg JGL-911, interestingly a plate I own today) Completion date was 3.5.65, Colour: 6401 Slate Grey, Interior: Fawn/Beige. Time in Europe with AH until late '65 and delivered to a Victorian customer in Feb 1966.

3rd RHD chassis, first RHD customer car delivered and the first RHD 911 to come to Australia.VIN 301XXX (reg SA’119’) was completed 13.06.1965 and delivered to Ron F. Angas of "Collingrove', by Hamiltons in Victoria then driven to SA and registered in his private plate '119' on 10.8.1965. 5710 Stone Grey with SkaiGrun, it was thus the first 911 in RHD delivered to a customer worldwide. It’s the only RHD 911 in this colour we know of, the only 901 painted in this colour too.

4th RHD 911. VIN 301XXX (NSW rego unknown) was completed 16.06.1965. It came to NSW via the distributor Hamiltons, was Silver with Red, and it was the Alec Mildren Demonstrator, based at their William St Sydney showroom. This car was photographed on the cover of Sports Car World February 1966 and referred to as the Milden demonstrator. It was delivered to a customer on 22.4.66 after time spent as Mildren's demonstrator. Current whereabouts unknown. The silver paint probably explains is VIN’s completion delay, as I understand that silver took a little extra time to paint properly

Australia thus received 3 of the first 4 RHD cars.
                Last edited by 1st; 03-06-16, 12:17 PM. Reason: Angas Spelling

Comment

119 & jgl

!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Stu
                    That is all great information
                    it reminded me of the search for the "Lord Casey" car which was supposed to be a "rich yellow" car delivered to him (while Governor General) in Canberra on 29 September 1965 by Norman Hamilton (as it was pictured in "The Australian" on 30 September)

here is the link http://www.typ901.org/showthread.php?p=46375 definitely worth a bump on that search
                    Hugh Hodges
                    1973 E
                    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                      So does that make Justins mates car the first RHD car worldwide or are yu still claiming that title ?

Howso if Alan Hamilton says he say it built a few weeks before your car ?
                      Still not sure what the answer is!

Comment

Wow what a stunning combination - Very old school Italian with the cigar trim

Cant wait to see a photo painted

Thanks for sharing - It never ceases to amaze me as to what is still tucked away in Australia

Comment

The fact the door jams are still slate grey suggests it was a quick 'closed door respray'.

Good chance a lot of that original slate grey is still under there.

Can dry icing take a layer of paint off at a time?

Comment

It can if you are really good at it but who knows what they did to the paint underneath as a prep for respraying ? Might go to a lot of trouble and cost only to find it still needs repainting. Remember when many people blacked out their anodised door frames but scuffed them up badly first so the black paint would take ?
                            sigpicPhil Lack
                            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Yeah good point Phil.

... however it would be pretty tempting to at least take a look at a panel or two ...

Comment

Working...
                              X