Door check question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door check question

There are two very different types of door checks on the web that are supposedly for the same range of years. Images are linked below.
    Can anyone give me a definitive answer for which type a 71 should have?

Also, as mine were missing when I got the car, are they installed with the curved arm sweeping towards the front of the car or back towards the rear?

Many thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jedwards; 03-06-16, 11:42 AM.

I'll have a stab for you Jeff, but YMMV

Your top left photo show an early version - not sure of dates, but pretty sure not '71.

Sweeping left or right is simply a matter of flipping it over... The arm "bows" outwards

Your top right photo shows the G series arrangement - the door jamb will have two tongues that the arm gets pinned between.

1971 will need the "forked" arm - that is, split in two. Your door jamb will have a single tongue that the split arm goes over and under and then pinned.

Cheers
    Last edited by Fishcop; 03-06-16, 11:58 AM.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Good morning John,
      As always many thanks for you knowledge and expertise.
      My door jambs definitely have the two tongues type that the arm gets pinned between, so are you saying that I should use the G series?
      Finally, you say the "arm bows outwards". In my terminology, does that mean sweeping forwards or sweeping backwards?

Many thanks

Comment

Top left came on my 72 and talk on esr years ago that they were in 73 models (blah blah rs models) they are aluminium strap and were quite sort after at the time.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by mrar View Post
          Top left came on my 72 and talk on esr years ago that they were in 73 models (blah blah rs models) they are aluminium strap and were quite sort after at the time.
          Oh well that blows me out

Jeff, that's interesting that you've got the double tongue, certainly the 68, 69, and 70 cars I've had access had the single tongue. But yes, that means you need the solid arms - which ties in with Sean's explanation of the '73 versions (they appear to be a solid arm).

I actually have a pair of brand new solid arm factory units in lovely gold zinc I can try and dig out for you? I bought them in error for my 69. My stuff is all still packed pending a move into our new home later this month...

By bowing out I mean the curve arcs out towards you rather than in towards the hinges - the door won't close if you get it wrong.

Cheers
          Last edited by Fishcop; 03-06-16, 03:21 PM.
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

Thanks John,
            I also ended up with both sets, as it was never clear which was the "correct" one.
            I definably need there solid arm, which both types have, so I am not really much more the wise and still not sure which way to mount them, forward curve or backward curve

Comment

Sorry Jeff I'd take a photo for you, but my cars aren't here yet.

Looking down on the open driver's door, the curve bows back to you and away from the front of the door. I think I'd describe it as a 'backwards curve".
              John Forcier
              Restoration Saga

Comment

This help?
                Attached Files

Comment

Sweeping to the rear

Comment

I must be on drugs Or at least separated from my cars for far too long!
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

Can't say I've seen a roll pin used to hold the check strap tongue before. I think it should be a flat topped pin that can be inserted with a slide hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                        I must be on drugs Or at least separated from my cars for far too long!
                        The memory does fade John when the reference points are elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by SM911 View Post
                          Can't say I've seen a roll pin used to hold the check strap tongue before. I think it should be a flat topped pin that can be inserted with a slide hammer.
                          I agree
                          Attached Files
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President
                          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                          X