Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decals on 901's

Hi all-

Can anyone shed light on the general topic of decals applied to the O, A, B,C, D, E & F series 911 models.

Where the 901's originally able to be purchased with decals ?

Could our cars be optioned with stripes, "Porsche" across the bottom of the doors etc?

What is the general view of adding decals to these cars now if they were not originally available in 1965-1973?

thanks
    Mark Evans
    1966 912 5 gauge
    1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Sorry, I can't help you with facts on what decals were available and how, other than that the 73RS had 'm and that one could optionally have a RS delivered without.
    As for adding them now, on most cars - as long as the decal contrast works with the paint - I like it!
    1973 911T Coupe
    1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

I assume you are only talking about the Porsche script with the 2 stripes of Carrera down the sides of the cars ?

I would imagine the first of these side decals appeared on factory race cars thence buyers asked for them to be added to road cars. Hugh may be able to add more definitive comments on this.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I am not sure when they became options I just looked at a few things i have and can only find a 1970 options brochure with them - see picture
        however they were available earlier but probably not before 1968 I have seen 1969 MY documents with them so it may be a LWB thing. I cant f8ind the option numbers at present (they were not listed on the option book I took this picture from) but my memory is that there was one number for the white ones and one for the black ones

they were, of course first seen on the prototype race cars in the mid 60's but on a 911 I think the first application that i can find is on the 911R's - ie from about august 1967 - but they were factory race cars so I suspect that general ability to have them on new road cars as options may have been 1969
        photo of a 911R
        Attached Files
        Last edited by HughH; 08-06-16, 08:43 AM.
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Thanks all.
          Mark Evans
          1966 912 5 gauge
          1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

My LHD 69S was delivered with white Porsche side script was an added extra on the original invoice
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
            X