Distributor Stuck in Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributor Stuck in Case

I was helping a fellow member out earlier in the week sorting out his car with;
    Carby rebuild, and tune;
    Valve adjustment;
    Points, HT leads, plugs, and a tuneup

When I tried to do the timeing I couldn't get the dizzy to rotate at all to advance the timing to where it needs to be, as it's stuck.

Has anyone delt with a totally stuck Dizzy before?

I'm after ideas guys, without dropping the engine to get better access.........its soaking as I type to hopefully release the O rings hold on it.

Bigger hammer ?
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Hi Tony

I had exactly the same issue when changing my Marelli distributor for a Bosch one. I ended up making a slide hammer attachment which worked a charm with two taps.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AJH View Post
        Hi Tony

I had exactly the same issue when changing my Marelli distributor for a Bosch one. I ended up making a slide hammer attachment which worked a charm with two taps.
        That's the way Andrew!

Comment

Hi Tony

Thanks Andrew. It is my 1970 2.2T that Tony has very kindly been working on. Out of interest, did you have the engine warmed up when you tapped it out with the slide hammer?
          Scott Rackley
          1977 Carrera 3.0

Comment

Hi Scott

No it would have been stone cold after a day or two struggling with it. It didn't take much force but just needed a sharp knock. Pulling as hard as I could with my hands had no effect partly because it's hard to get a good grip on it. Another option could be to try one of those leather strap arrangements that are used to loosen spin on oil filters. It may just crack it loose by rotation.

Comment

Hi Scott

No it would have been stone cold after a day or two struggling with it. It didn't take much force but just needed a sharp knock. Pulling as hard as I could with my hands had no effect partly because it's hard to get a good grip on it. Another option could be to try one of those leather strap arrangements that are used to loosen spin on oil filters. It may just crack it loose by rotation.
              Thanks Andrew. Sounds like it may need the jolt of the slide hammer arrangement.
              Scott Rackley
              1977 Carrera 3.0

Comment

Andrew, any chance of me borrowing your excellent Bastard Dizzy Removal Tool

I'm planning on getting back to Scott's car when our rosters allow, and finishing what I started.

Comment

Tony I assume that you tried turning the crank a little as well? Also heating the case with a paint dryer or hair dryer and spraying some 'freezing spray' (see jayCar http://www.jaycar.com.au/Service-Aid...y-Can/p/NA1000) on the distributor body can work

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                    Andrew, any chance of me borrowing your excellent Bastard Dizzy Removal Tool

I'm planning on getting back to Scott's car when our rosters allow, and finishing what I started.
                    Hi Tony

Yes of course. I'll try it on my Bosch first and see if it fits or can be modified. I'm not for from the Airport if you want to swing by and grab it.

Comment

Did you get it out Tony?

Comment

I've had a look at it and it won't fit the Bosch unit which sits a bit lower. It's quite tight in there. However you are still more than welcome to borrow and modify it if you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                          Did you get it out Tony?
                          I've soaked the area with Penetrene. Due to work, it will be a little while before we can get in there and give it a jolt. Hopefully the Penetrene will have had enough time to really do its thing by then.
                          Scott Rackley
                          1977 Carrera 3.0

Comment

I've had a look at it and it won't fit the Bosch unit which sits a bit lower. It's quite tight in there. However you are still more than welcome to borrow and modify it if you wish.
                            Thank you kindly for your offer Andrew. Tony and I are trying to coordinate rosters to get another go at it!
                            Scott Rackley
                            1977 Carrera 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by oz772 View Post
                              I've soaked the area with Penetrene. Due to work, it will be a little while before we can get in there and give it a jolt. Hopefully the Penetrene will have had enough time to really do its thing by then.
                              Do try the hair dryer trick on the case area as well Scott. It works.

Comment

Working...
                              X