New Porsche sourced front guards - a word of caution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Porsche sourced front guards - a word of caution

This morning I was at Jason and put my front lights in - to discover that one headlight bucket had been welded too far into the guard and you couldn't put the rubber seal on and have enough room to mount the top lip of the headlight ring.

Jason had three cars there, totalling five new guards and three of the guards were like this - and examples from both driver and passenger sides - and the difference is easily noticeable to the eye.

There was a a fix in my - 356 rubber seals are thinner/narrower and allow the fitment - however given the large price premium that is needed to be paid for Porsche parts - with the reasoning that "well at least they fit properly" this isn't acceptable I think.

So if you do order front guards watch out for this .... and before you paint

Note that this isn't a go at Porsche Australia - I've found the people there really good to deal with.

Julian

Julian
    My LHS one is a bit like that - and i can guarantee it has been like that FROM NEW IN 1973!!! the RHS goes into the clip easily but the left hand side needs a bit of shaving of the gasket as well as a few choice words. It was like that when I first bought it in the early 90's and when we had it to bare metal in the late 90's you could see that it was original to the car and was slightly different in where the bucket was welded in compared to the RHS one. it was only a fraction of a mm or so but enough to make it difficult to fit. The joys of a "hand made car"
    Hugh Hodges
    1973 E
    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Their bonnets are crap too
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Hugh,

Yeah, I get the small variations but this is 3mm or so ...

They've fixed the bonnets Clyde, but a little late obviously

Comment

I broke a lens trying to fit new seals to my headlights, on my car, many years ago. I ended up bending the tabs and the rim slightly.

Genuine is definitely no guarantee of correct fit. See my post about my new shift coupler bushes....

Remember the beer cans on the window sill at the factory? Fritz and Hans had other things on their minds come Friday afternoon.
          Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

Working...
          X