Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member and car

Hi All

Just thought I’d introduce myself and my car to the community as new Australians.

My name’s Janyon, I’m a reasonably freshly minted Australian having been here 8 years from South Africa, but don’t hold that against me, sports fans.

The move to Australia necessitated a lifestyle change and thus my long love affair with 911’s and longhoods in particular, had be put on hold whilst we built our new life and downsized to accommodate the shallow root system of the new immigrant.

Finally the time has come to bring the only remaining car of my collection (having regrettably sold the others) and hence my South African delivered 1971 911E 9111200524, arrived in Australia recently, having been in my possession and dry storage at altitude for the last 10 years.
    She’s not a concourse car, but nevertheless a matching number, unrestored, umolested and correct coupe in silver metallic running MFI as intended, but a 901 ‘box as not. Yes folks, she was delivered as a sporto, but a former owner did the conversion and secretly I’m OK with it. Even a decade ago good cars were becoming hard to find at the sporto conversion was a compromise I could live with as the car made up for it.

I’ve owned more significant models (’68 S SWB) but I always felt this car achieved the balance of usability and comfort, whilst embodying what makes the type 901 so special, yet not so rare that enjoyment is stifled by custodianship. Hence I took the decision that she was the keeper, and she had to come over. Whilst I’m a good deal lighter of pocket after the importation process, I’m glad she’s finally here with me, and a I can tell you it’s a strange but wonderful feeling to be reunited with your car after a decade, driving it in a different country!

I had a local guru looking after her in my absence, and she is running even better than I remember, though new torsion bar bushes and Bilsteins would have something to do with that.

So, the AustralianType 901registry will be showing a +1, and though I appreciate the provenance of Australian delivery, original RHD cars a thin on the ground, that I’m sure she’ll be welcomed into the fold, though some might find me a bit harder to take

I’ve booked a garage at the Shannons Event in August so pop by and say hi if you’re there.

Look forward to hanging about the forum.

Cheers
    Janyon
    ’71 911E Coupe

Ex.
    '68 S SWB RHD
    '92 964RS RHD
    '73 E Targa RHD
    '71 T Coupe RHD
    '66 912 RHD
    '68 912 RHD
    '71 RS reproduction historic racer 2.8
    '72 RS reproduction historic racer 3.0
    Various SC and 3.2 Carrera coupes
    Attached Files

Looks sweet Janyon. Welcome to the club.
    Nev Melbourne

Comment

Welcome Janyon. I too have recently migrated, though only interstate and only 6 months. Yet I am missing my cars while they are billeted out with registry members awaiting delivery to their new garage by the beach
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Welcome Janyon
        where did you come from in S.A.? I know of another person who will be coming to live here (Melbourne) from JoBerg later this year. He comes from a significant Porsche background and is intending to bring a very special early 911 with him. It needs restoring and currently not on the road so he was looking for advice on the process a short time ago. Maybe you will be able to help him thru the process
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Welcome Janyon,

Great looking car; love to see it on a club-drive
          I did a similar thing a few years back; imported my LHD from The Netherlands as local cars here are so much dearer than I could afford even when selling my car overseas.

Looks like you have quite some experience with the different models; good range of cars!
          1973 911T Coupe
          1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Welcome Janyon.

Comment

Also welcome Janyon. Hope you have adapted to our lighter red wine.

Comment

Nice intro and previous ownership history Janyon!
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Welcome to the 901 forum. Looks like you have plenty of experience to share.

I have a 356 that spent a lot of time over in SA. I am trying to chase down some info.

I will PM you with the little info I have. If you don't mind that is.

Comment

Thanks all for the welcome messages.
                    Hugh, I'd be happy to advise from my experience and recommend a shipper contact. Nobody really explains the process in detail but they send the bills.
                    Jim, also happy to assist. I can think of two people who might be able to assist you with history on your car.
                    Cheers

Comment

Welcome Janyon and thanks for bringing another one of these great cars to Australia!

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Welcome to the club, and to Australia!
                        John Orchard
                        356 B (T6) 1963
                        911 2.0L 1965 SWB (sold)
                        912 1966 SWB (sold)
                        930 Turbo 1984
                        997 Carrera S 2005

Typ 901 register #236

Comment