Cylinder/head help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder/head help please

This is a pic of cylinder/heads on the 71T.

I was told by PO that it's a 2.7 and my understanding is the 11 rib cylinders are consistent with that (if not conclusive).

Can anyone more familiar with the markings on the heads tell me what (if anything) they reveal?

I have the fan/alternator assembly out at the moment and this is a pic taken from the top of the motor then turned "upside down".
    Attached Files

I would have do do some research on the cylinders, however stating the obvious, the 4/72 heads are most likely from a 73 car so 2.4 heads which are different to a 2.7 head.

Comment

Mitchell, can you see markings on the cylinders?

KS = Kobelschmitt = Alusil (definitely 2.7)
      Mahle = Mahle = Nikasil (could be anything)
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

It's a 2.4E case so that makes sense. Where would I find markings John? "11 fin rule" (vs 9 I think) came from ESR.

Comment

Should be at the base of the cylinders... Been such a long time, my memory is rusty, but you can usually make out some small factory marks such as a very small M inside a crown shape (Mahle), otherwise an embossed KS. Both are relatively small marks.

I also read the fin number ID explanation on the net - except it was wrong for me. But I was trying to compare Mahle nikasil 2.7s vs KS alusil 2.7s in situ. I thought I'd scored a donor engine with nikasil, but ended up with alusil. Ended up buying new Mahle 2.7RS P&Cs in the end.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

The Barrel looks the same as a 2.7 set that i have.

Comment

Working...
            X