Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyre Vendors

Gents,

The yokohamas on both of the Reed Porsches are past their use by date. The 356 last had new tyres in 2001! The 911, 2008 after I minced a set of tyres on the Great Ocean Road Escape Rally.

Id like to get some period tyres (particularly for the 911) if possible without paying an arm and a leg for them. Michelin XWX, XAS, Avon?

Interested in the impressions of those who already have them vs the performance of the more modern tyres they before.

Need a vendor in both Melbourne (where 911 is) and Sydney (where 356 is).... or one that can ship quickly and inexpensively.

I've contacted Longstone tyres in the UK twice via email and have heard nothing back. So my money will stay local which is good.

Both cars run 6 inch flat fuchs - the 356 currently has 195/60 (clearance is an issue but good with these tyres) and the 911 205/60.

Advice? Opinions? Welcomed.
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

One option in the (broader) Sydney area is Gordon Leven. I had a good experience in sourcing correct spec Avons from them

Avon has been making high quality tyres since 1904, tyres that fit all sorts of cars, motorbikes, vans and trailers. On two wheels as well as four.

Comment

Justin, the Dunlops I just had fitted to the carrera are period correct (for G series cars, anyway) and very cheap & excellent performers so far! Stuckeys in Sydney Road, Brunswick have always been great for me...worth a call!
      Mark Munro
      '69 911T (sold)
      '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
      '69 MG Midget Group S car
      TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Justin I went with the Michelins for the early 911 and Vredestein fro the 356. Stuckey's gave me great prices for both sets.

Comment

Justin, on recommendation from Carl Jones I recently fitted Michelin XM2 (185/70R14), $140 fitted/balanced from Widetread Upper Ferntree Gully.
          Very satisfied.
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901
          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Hi Justin,

I bought XWXs from Longstone in the UK, they arrived in 5 days, cost and arm and a leg (but a couple of toes cheaper than Stuckeys who also had none available).

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

I am thinking of replacing my Avons (when the time comes) with the newly released Pirelli CN 36's. Old school looks and tread pattern but modern compounds and I believe reintroduced with consultation with Porsche Ferarri and a number of other similar organisations. I have only seen limited reports on them so far but what I have heard is good, Not sure if they are here yet but Stuckey would be a place to get them. In UK they are priced under the XWX's but still expensive
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Justin,

I recently purchased 5 Michelin XAS from Stuckey's in Melbourne. Contact was Jeff Hastie 03 93865331.

Not cheap but tyres were in stock and delivered door to door (Qld) in 2 days.

Comment

I bought a set of CN36s from Longstones, disturbingly expensive but at $1.80=£1 a little bit less so now, I ran them on the 74 and I thought they were lovely, on the basis that I am not focussed on ultimate roadholding (grip). And they look the ducks IMHO. I asked Pirelli whether they were going to bring them out but heard nothing. Personally next time I pay silly amounts for tyres I'll get TBs, entirely for that tread pattern. And they're available locally.

Comment

Linglong look fantastic and as a bonus are available locally.Not sure on their performance at the track but they do go round and round.
                    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                    X