Must Be mad.....vintage '67 420mm Nardi race wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must Be mad.....vintage '67 420mm Nardi race wheel

In a rush of blood to the head I recently picked up a vintage Nardi, date stamped '67, 420mm size (same as original) wood wheel at much expense to management.

I just fitted it and it's great to use, it is light and strong and has a great feel.

Whilst I mandate my cars are ex-factory original, I couldn't go past this wheel for looks, practicality and to preserve my original.

It's quite a rare one as I've not before seen a 420mm large size Nardi with the round hole race spokes and exposed rivets. It is complete with it's unobtainium original Nardi Porsche horn push, and when new was fitted to a '68S.

...what do the crew think? Nardi or original?

Cheers

Stewart.
    Attached Files

Stewart

The Nardi looks fantastic, stick with that one and keep the original one in case the concourse bug ever bites!
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

i think it looks nice, especially against the wooden dash insert.

i find 420mm wheels far too big for me to comfortably use. i recently picked up a 380mm, slightly dished, silver spoked nardi for the new E. it is THE most comfortable wheel i have ever used.

plus, every man and his dog has a prototipo nowadays...

Comment

Looks sensational Stewart,

I just installed a 380mm wooden sliver spoked Nardi wheel and found once installed it was in a better driving position than the original wheel

Slightly further towards the body so a better arm position, which also makes getting into the car a little easier for the 186cm of me

Shane..

Comment

Anni 50 Nardi

Years ago not long after buying the car I bought a 380mm Nardi, called an "Anni 50"- this is a wood wheel with exposed rivets and non decorated solid spokes, a nice wheel. Hornpush is a Nardi branded job which never felt right, at the time you couldn't get a Porsche branded one, still can't I think. They aren't making the Anni 50's anymore, either.

I just like the 420 mm size, it feels right for the car, so I was pleased with this find.

But I find I'm accumulating wheels:

2 x original wood 901 wheels + horn rings c.1964, c.1965
          1 x orignal alloy (steel?) typ 901 wheel (same pattern, metal not wood)
          1 x Nardi Anni 50 c.1992
          1 x Nardi vintage 420mm wood/polished + drilled spokes c.1967
          1 x Nardi vintage 380mm wood/polished spokes c.1960's
          2 x Momo Prototypo (1 x wood and 1 x leather) c.1970's
          1 x no name 70's sliver spoke small race wheel
          1 x 964 RS leather 3 spoke c.1992

and probably a couple I've missed......

Looks like I need a few more cars.

Cheers

Stewart.

Comment

...or you might need to part with a wheel or two...

Comment

I wouldn't mind one if someone wants to sell me theirs. Looks cool. How much?

Comment

Working...
              X