Dip or Blast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dip or Blast

Time to make a decision on prepping the shell of my Targa project.

I have blasted the last 2 projects with success but the metal guy is extolling the virtues of dipping the tub and panels.

Any advice ?

Thanks
    Craig
    12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
    1972 2.4E Targa project
    1973 911 2.4E for the road

have heard good things about e-coat process, that involves multiple dipping processes. Not sure if it's offered here in oz?

Will be interested to hear opinions

Comment

If dipping a 911, you're going to have to have the body guy open up your sills and remove the heater muffler inside. This means you can reuse the muffler and get proper access to clean up the inside of sills.
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
        If dipping a 911, you're going to have to have the body guy open up your sills and remove the heater muffler inside. This means you can reuse the muffler and get proper access to clean up the inside of sills.
        John, thanks, confirms my thought that by dipping you are committing to opening up the sills regardless but are you saying that the sill and muffler would have to come off first ?
        Craig
        1972 2.4E Targa project

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
          John, thanks, confirms my thought that by dipping you are committing to opening up the sills regardless but are you saying that the sill and muffler would have to come off first ?
          Yes - the 'dip' is acidic and will turn the muffler to mush (which means you've got to open the sills to clean and replace ). Opening up the sills means you can ensure the dip is completely cleaned from the sill cavities so that the e-coat/epoxy bonds with the internal metal. If you don't get that acidic dip cleaned out, it will rust internally over time. A muffler or tube is needed if you ever want the option of using heat...

The photos I've seen of it being done in the States has the body guy cutting access on the INSIDE sill where carpet will hide any repairs. Of course this seems to totally defeat the purpose of dipping and e-coating as a post treatment repair weld is required no matter what...

If the shell is a bit rusty there is a fair chance you're going to want to open the sills for repair anyway? But if it's lovely and sound, I'd be inclined to stick with mechanical/media paint removal.
          Last edited by Fishcop; 22-07-16, 03:40 PM.
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

John
            Many thanks
            Craig
            1972 2.4E Targa project

Comment

This is the company that I have used for the last 20 yrs with only good results.
              Minus Paint are the paint and rust removal experts, we take pride in helping restorers start their projects with a pristine, clean metal surface. Our aim is simple, we return your panels, shells and components as close to the factory finish as possible. We are passionate about preserving the original steel, which is the

Comment

Chris, did you open up the sills?
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

My car went in with the outer sills removed, and then when it returned I removed the inners.

Comment

picture.......

Comment

Is there much evidence of rust Craig? Just wondering why such drastic action as dipping was suggested?

Comment

Working...
                      X