Brake upgrade for early 912.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake upgrade for early 912.

My 1967 will most likely need new rotors front and rear as well as new pads and lines in the not too distant future so I've been thinking that it may be a good opportunity to improve the setup.

After some light reading, I stumbled across someone who used Brembo calipers from a ‘80s Alfa Romeo GTV-6/Milano. Apparently they retain the 3 inch bolt spacing like the 912 but with 48mm pistons like the aluminum early 911S caliper. They’ll also mate up to SC rotors and the pad retaining pins are sold by PMB in Utah. A quick Google search returned a used set good for refurb on eBay which sold earlier this year:

Any other suggestions? Anyone running this set up - if so, feedback?

Cheers

Yep had them for 3 years. Easy to rebuild as well. There is an earlier thread on this. So much better than the original ones. Porterfield pads

Comment

I'll bat this to you...

Your 912 is already very light and well braked. Rebuilding your current calipers properly, replacing fluid, nice pads, and new rotors will give you excellent braking. I'd suggest replacing the original master cylinder with a dual circuit MC from the 68 and later parts list for increased safety and peace of mind.

If you must, the Alfa brakes are great, but getting quite hard to get hold of. Send an email to Eric at PMB and discuss upgrading the original calipers with spacers to take later ventilated rotors. PMB do a kit to upgrade your brakes to 68S spec. The 68 L and S cars were the only SWB cars to get ventilated brakes. The front rotors are cheap, the rear rotors are crazy expensive but minor machining to 944 rear rotors keeps the price right down (this is what I've done on my 68L rears).
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

What John said.

I have the Brembos and the PMB rear ventilated conversion on my '65 but only because it is going to have lots of HP

Comment

970kg v's 1030kg ('67/912/911). The early Brembos are getting hard to find. Eric has been buying all he can as he rates them highly. I managed to get a cheap set and re-build them.
          +1 on the dual circuit MC.
          Last edited by Merv; 03-08-16, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
            I'll bat this to you...

Your 912 is already very light and well braked. Rebuilding your current calipers properly, replacing fluid, nice pads, and new rotors will give you excellent braking. I'd suggest replacing the original master cylinder with a dual circuit MC from the 68 and later parts list for increased safety and peace of mind.

If you must, the Alfa brakes are great, but getting quite hard to get hold of. Send an email to Eric at PMB and discuss upgrading the original calipers with spacers to take later ventilated rotors. PMB do a kit to upgrade your brakes to 68S spec. The 68 L and S cars were the only SWB cars to get ventilated brakes. The front rotors are cheap, the rear rotors are crazy expensive but minor machining to 944 rear rotors keeps the price right down (this is what I've done on my 68L rears).
            I recently did mine and have to agree with John. I rebuilt the calipers, new rotors, replaced rubber lines, and probably the best addition was Porterfield R4-1 vintage race compound pads. The difference was unbelievable. PMB supplied a set of R4-1 and a set of R4-S for almost the same price as a single set in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
              970kg v's 1030kg ('67/912/911). The early Brembos are getting hard to find. Eric has been buying all he can as he rates them highly. I managed to get a cheap set and re-build them.
              +1 on the dual circuit MC.
              I always thought there was around 100kg difference between 912/911, anyway the spec book below gives 911'S @1030 other 911 models @ 1080 kgs
              Attached Files
              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

i have a set of the Brembo's that are fully rebuilt never mounted that i would consider selling complete with a set of Porterfield pads $1000 including shipping anywhere in Oz
                Craig
                12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                1972 2.4E Targa project
                1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                  What John said.

I have the Brembos and the PMB rear ventilated conversion on my '65 but only because it is going to have lots of HP
                  Hey Chris
                  The brakes that came with your 65 912 are genuine 67 911S calipers frt and rear not spaced out 912 units . The rotors are the genuine parts too so don't go giving these away 😉.
                  The previous owner to me used to work for a Porsche wrecker and had some really cool parts on that car .

Comment

Originally posted by Doug.W View Post
                    Hey Chris
                    The brakes that came with your 65 912 are genuine 67 911S calipers frt and rear not spaced out 912 units . The rotors are the genuine parts too so don't go giving these away 😉.
                    The previous owner to me used to work for a Porsche wrecker and had some really cool parts on that car .

Yeah they were handy, they are on my 68S

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                      Yeah they were handy, they are on my 68S
                      Last edited by Doug.W; 04-08-16, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys, does anyone know if I put the Alfa Brembos and SC disk whether i'll still be able to run 15x6" rims?

Comment

I have the brembos on my car - stock E otherwise - and no issues with 15 inch wheels
                          Hugh Hodges
                          1973 E
                          Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for that. So essentially, all I really need is the callipers, pads, SC disks, tailored brake lines and it'll all bolt on?

Comment

on mine we just had to bend the existing hard brake lines to fit. I did not use any different discs. just stock 1973 E
                              Hugh Hodges
                              1973 E
                              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Working...
                              X