Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on future project idea

Hi All

I have half an eye open for the next project which I would like to be some sort of long hood hotrod.

I don't want to be bound by originality as I would like to customize and so on and don't want to destroy a good restorable car. I'm not sure of which path to take.

I have had a look at the whole backdating thing and possibly a complete running L to right converted or bastardised car with non original engine maybe a suitable donor at the right price.

Or start from scratch with something like this

and use whatever parts to build what I am after.

Being mindful that the completed value of this project being nothing like restored originals (or thereabouts) vs cash pumped into it.

I would like to hear any opinions or past experiences.

Cheers
    Ash
    1971 911E
    1993 964 30 Jahre 'Jubilee' Edition Looking for engine 6218087

Hi Ash

Owner wants $21.5k for that 912 shell on gumtree!

I too was thinking about that as the starting point but what would the total cost come in at? $80/$100?

Cheers
    Adam

Comment

yes I was thinking around $70-$80k as a hotrod
      I just wouldn't want to get hold of it and then feel obligated to go original.
      Sourcing all of the correct missing parts would probably drive it closer to $100k
      1971 911E
      1993 964 30 Jahre 'Jubilee' Edition Looking for engine 6218087

Comment

I personally think you're crazy to ponder a $80-100k build on that shell... It'll still only be a 912 (no offence )

There are some very good prospects in a running car from the States. Sure there are some impediments when it comes to importing a car, but $50k Aussie should still get you a complete 911 of some description landed here. Having a 'complete' car is so much better for building a hotrod, and selling the parts you don't use defrays your overall cost. It also means you could register the car before heading down the hotrod path.

I still question anyone looking to convert the steering on a chassis in this day and age - it's just not necessary IMHO

Just my 2c (and your $100k )
        John Forcier
        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
        Restoration Saga
        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

912 outlaw

Or buy a US LHD 912 and build a 912 outlaw....

One done here (with 911 engine) - but I would stick with 912 engine.

Useable 912 for $20-40K USD - import - register - then start to modify.

Comment

Wasn't there a cool 912 outlaw that sold for almost $100k in Aus last year?

I have a converted 66 912 and it will be outlawed with a 911 engine.

I hear too often people building with future investment in mind... buy and build what you want dude.

Comment

Clayton's Bespoke had an Aussie rhd tangerine 912 with a 2.4S spec motor last year - had $60k on it and couldn't get rid of it for nearly a year ...

Comment

Working...
              X