First owner story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First owner story

Last month Alex inspired me to try and track down the first owner of my 911E.

A success, I found him, a nice story & even some photos.

I already knew the car was a tourist factory pick-up in Stuttgart in February 1969 from the options list (0000) on the COA.

However, I now know that the car was ordered through Hamiltons in Melbourne in late 1968 by Anthony Woinarski of Surfers Paradise.

However, Anthony, in his 20's at the time, was not living in Queensland but working in London, so he used the address of his parents.

His plan was to order an Australian compliant 911, use it in London, then marry his girlfriend, have a driving honeymoon in Australia using the Porsche and then flip it.

He picked the car up at the Porsche factory on 19 February 1969 with his girlfriend - soon to be wife.

Anthony told me that collecting the car was a great all day affair.

In the morning he completed the necessary paperwork, then was given a guided tour of the factory followed by a lunch.

In the afternoon he collected the car and, with a factory driver that spoke English, drove it out onto the Porsche test circuit and was shown how to drive the car properly with all it's idiosyncrasies explained and demonstrated.

He clearly recalled one piece of advice - "if you are in a corner and feel you are going too fast DO NOT TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR but keep a little power on and trust the car".

They then drove the brand new 911 back around Europe and then back to the UK, on tourist plates.

See attached attached photo taken near Thun in Switzerland (hope he had snow tyres on!) just a few days after collecting the car.

The car lived in London for the rest of 1969 and in August 1970 he had it shipped to Melbourne so it was ready to pickup when the newly married couple arrived for their honeymoon.

Anthony sold the car back to Hamiltons in December 1970, and made a nice profit as he paid only A$5,500, (less A$500 rebate from the German Govt on leaving Germany), at a time when the Australian landed price for a 1969 911T was $9,500.
    Attached Files
    Mark Evans
    1966 912 5 gauge
    1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Awesome stuff Mark!

Comment

Great story; cool to have the pics also.
      That's got to add feel good value too!
      John Orchard
      356 B (T6) 1963
      911 2.0L 1965 SWB (sold)
      912 1966 SWB (sold)
      930 Turbo 1984
      997 Carrera S 2005

Typ 901 register #236

Comment

Great story Mark. So many of these cars have SUCH a rich history.

I particularly like the special option VLF (Very Low Frequency) giant aerial
        Interesting photo angles make that aerial look huge!

Comment

Very cool story
          Cam Arnott
          Looking for engine #6208151
          1970 911E (Sold)
          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

How on earth did you track him down?

Comment

Mark that is a brilliant story! I bet the owner was amazed and excited to hear from you. Would have been a tidy profit (% wise) for the clever young man.

Just amazing - thanks for sharing.
              Tom Laube
              Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
              VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

You've done well, all I got when I called Porsche is it was sold by Hamiltons and delivered to Qld but no names etc. it looked great at Brighton last Sunday. Angelo's number is 0418 548 136
                Toby 0415 333 380

27 Lancia Lambda Torpedo
                61 Karmann Ghia Oz matching #'s
                68 911S UK matching #'s
                68 911L UK matching #'s
                71 911S Oz matching #'s
                71 RX2 Coupe stock standard
                74 911 2.7MFI Carrera Oz matching #'s
                09 AUDI RS6 Sedan Oz matching #'s
                15 Range Rover Sport

Comment

Great story Mark. I don't want to hijack this thread, but i thought I'll share my 1st owner story and photo. My 1st owner was easy to locate, he still lived at the same address as stated on the owners booklet. John Lidbury in Peppermint Grove, with help of google i found his phone number and called him, he was surprised the car was still around. Unfortunately, John, past away last month at the age of 90. This photo was taken in April 74.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by PD Targa; 29-08-16, 08:37 AM.
                  Peter D

TYP901# 233
                  911T Coupe 68
                  911E Targa 73
                  911E Coupe 72 (sold)
                  1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Lovely story Peter. Most first owners of 901's still alive are probably in their 80's.

I guess it would have been rare that a first owner was in their 20's, given that the the price of a 911 was almost exactly the same as the median house price in Melbourne: the car or the house??
                    Mark Evans
                    1966 912 5 gauge
                    1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Wonderful stories.

I met the nephew of the first owner of my car at Motorclassica last year.... quite by chance.

We both figured that there was only one 911L Coupe in dark green with brown trim. It was only when I got my Kardex that it was confirmed

It turned out the fellow (surname Keating, christian name Lindsay I think) lived in Toorak, was friendly with Allan Moffat. The 911L was traded in and replaced by a 6.9 litre Benz and a Boxer Ferrari some time in the early to mid 70's.
                      Justin Reed
                      aka Reedminor
                      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                      1961 356B #114700
                      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I've previously posted my story, but to add to this thread a (very) brief summary.
                        The first owner of my car and his wife at our Federation Square display in 2012, and some photos kindly provided to me of his wife and friends in Germany and UK (Lakes District) after they picked it up in Stuttgart as tourist delivery late 1970.....and then went on a camping holiday.
                        I also have full details of the other 2 subsequent owners and have spoken with each.
                        Attached Files
                        Peter Williams #049
                        Secretary TYP901
                        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Great photos Peter. I actually came across another IB 911 targa your 1st owner once owned. He must have had a soft spot for 911's.
                          Peter D

TYP901# 233
                          911T Coupe 68
                          911E Targa 73
                          911E Coupe 72 (sold)
                          1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

The 73E I recently purchased came with full books and I was able to track down the original WA owner who now lives in Qld.

He was 25 years old when he bought the 911 having profited from the Posieden madness on the Aussie stock market 3 years earlier, he sold in Jan 1970 they crashed in Feb 1970.

Says he felt like a king as not too many 911's in Perth back then.
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President
                            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by PD Targa View Post
                              Great photos Peter. I actually came across another IB 911 targa your 1st owner once owned. He must have had a soft spot for 911's.
                              He had a number of 911s, but now owns a Lamborghini. (or did in 2012)
                              Peter Williams #049
                              Secretary TYP901
                              1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Working...
                              X