New H4's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New H4's

I’ve been considering replacing the headlight units (lenses, reflectors and bulbs) on my car as it’s evident the original right H4 lens was replaced at some point with one that does not have the H4 embossed script and has a clear top shelf. This was done a long time ago as the evidence of age pitting is similar to the original H4. Although the current mismatched headlights have clearly travelled a long way with the car, they are visually different and dull. Some crisp new glass with stronger bulbs wouldn’t be a terrible thing, and although I prefer originality, I’m thinking of it more as a running improvement mod.

Any wisdom worth sharing or general supplier recommendations? I shall begin with sourcing from our sponsors.

I would...

I boxed and stored my original H1s and went with new H4s - and added relays to run power direct off the battery. The difference is literally night and day. Fresh H4s are a match for any pre-zenon era vehicle lights.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Post some pics of what you have,clear top lens sounds like H1, original.
      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

I've done the same as John - stashed away the clear top H1s and fitted H4's at cost of around $1200. Much better light, although I very rarely drive at night.
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

I had it the wrong way around. I assumed the replaced lens was the rhs one as there is evidence of the horn grille being refitted so a low speed ding would have busted the lens and shifter the horn grille. So much for my sleuth work. he clear top does show up more pitting under torch light.
          Thanks for the feedback. Confirms my intent. Besides I'll be keeping the incumbents.
          Attached Files

Comment

I also did the H4 transition and added relays in the buckets with a direct feed. Great lights now. Hugh put me on to that.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback gents

Comment

Working...
              X