Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of power

Quandary sudden loss of electrical power
    Engine stalls, then kicks over when turn ignition key but no power to gauges and engine start although kicking over will not start. After a few minutes start priocess again turn ignition it kicks over no power to guages then for no reason gauges come Alive and turn over ignition and it starts straight away and happily off we go.

Any ideas what this could

So many possibilities

Start with the obvious - check the earth straps (engine/gearbox to chassis, battery boxes, and alternator to engine).
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

When you say you have no power to your gauges, can you hear the fuel pump running? CDI?

As John has said check your earths. I would add to check the earth behind your clock. If you're losing all power to your gauges, I'd be looking at the fuse panel, the relay from your ignition to your instruments and then the ignition switch itself.

Comment

Earths are the usual suspects (I have added some) and then the ignition switch itself.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll check it out the earths on the weekend me keep you posted

Comment

I was thinking ignition switch, my sunroof would not work on my 72 unless the key had a slight turn back.
            Peter D

TYP901# 233
            911T Coupe 68
            911E Targa 73
            911E Coupe 72 (sold)
            1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

I can't recall if the 911 has a starter relay, and I can't see which model of early car you have Gus. John and others would recall. I know that the 356 doesn't and the direct current to the ignition switch kills it over time. They are almost irreplaceable on the 356. Most fit a starter relay to 'insulate' the ignition switch (the first thing I did).

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                I can't recall if the 911 has a starter relay, and I can't see which model of early car you have Gus. John and others would recall. I know that the 356 doesn't and the direct current to the ignition switch kills it over time. They are almost irreplaceable on the 356. Most fit a starter relay to 'insulate' the ignition switch (the first thing I did).
                911s don't - But I did add one to mine...
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks John. Always a good idea as those old ignition switches take some real punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                    Thanks John. Always a good idea as those old ignition switches take some real punishment.
                    and cost a truck load to replace ...
                    Craig
                    12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                    1972 2.4E Targa project
                    1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Joe Leoni is the doyen of all things electrical on old 356's cars and his books of simple coloured circuit diagrams and relay additions are great stuff. I have some PDF versions for the 356 that have been invaluable. I think he also has some for the early 911's

Comment

Hi Gus, I think that I had something similar happened to my 72 about 15 years ago. Just driving along then everything died. (Actually, come to think of it, I was trying to impress a young work colleague on a lunch date and accelerating pretty hard when it died- had to walk back to work!) I'm pretty sure it was a slightly corroded fusebox contact. The combination of high current through a dodgy contact and vibration can do all sorts of strange things. My advice is to look carefully as they can be hard to see.
                        Last edited by 72_sporto; 27-09-16, 06:47 PM.
                        Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

Checked the battery terminals? and earths as above.

Comment

thanks for all the advice guys, i have checked the earth straps around the batteries and have checked the fuses, however everything looks remarkably pristine albeit a little dusty. I've given the area a good clean.

Car is starting and has power without drama, however i wonder if it will happen again.

On Friday i will check connections around the ignition switch then jack her up and check the earth straps around the gearbox engine,

but with my targa things are usually simple and just need a common sense approach, i remember when i couldn't change gears and feared it was a gearbox rebuild but it turned out being a $5.00 rubber bush or the time i had an oil leaking from the rear of engine but found i had greatly over filled with oil, or the time .............ill stop there i think.

Comment

Working...
                            X