Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie- Incoming 911T

Hi All,

Great to see there is such a great local forum for early 911 enthusiasts. I've just joined up in anticipation of the arrival of my '71 911T Targa...and the excitement is starting to get to me, this will be my first early 911, and first Porsche. I'm in Melbourne- and should receive the car in the next couple of days (purchased from Sydney).

I've been out of classic cars for around 6 years now- having sold my '68 Maserati Mexico in 2010 to fund our first house purchase, then came kids- and you know the rest. (Looking at Mexico prices today I am badly kicking myself). I was always hoping to get into an early 911, but as you all know the market has moved majorly in the last few years...

I had all but given up on the idea of an early 911, and had started setting my sights on an impact-bumper car for a first Porsche when a car came up for sale that fit my price-orbit...

I'll be sure to put up more photos once it arrives, but the rough details are as follows... Originally a Canadian car I believe, delivered in silver paintwork. Now black-on-black, and with a RHD conversion. The model, RHD conversion and non-original colour obviously are part of it's less than stratospheric price: but that also gets me into the drivers seat. I had a full PPI by Paul at PR Tech in Sydney- and the key comments that kept me interested where that the body (which has been restored previously) is as good as any you will find on an early 911, the conversion is said to be very good quality and the assessment of the mechanicals was equally promising: with the 2.2L engine making excellent compression with very good on road performance for a '71T.

There are a few cosmetic issues with the trim that I hope to sort in time (the dash-trim is incorrect due to a later dash being used for the RHD conversion, door handles are tired, rear window moulding trim is missing etc etc)- but it seems that parts are in general available, and first I intend just to drive and enjoy it! I plan to put it on club plates in the next few months.

Would be keen for advice in terms of best places for service in Melbourne, and best places to go to for parts/ to correct incorrect bits and pieces gradually in the future.

I've attached a few photos below, but will post more once I have the car in my driveway- and the impressions of the first drive.

Hope to contribute/ learn a lot from this local forum- have also joined up at the Early911S registry.

Remi
    Attached Files

Welcome Remi!
    Good timing, just before summer

Looks like a great car from the few pictures. Look forward to seeing you at one of the club-runs.

re: service, I've always gone to Auto Coupe (Phil Hearn) in Eltham. He knows his stuff and provides great service.
    1973 911T Coupe
    1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Love the Mexico, my favourite Maserati.

The Targa looks fantastic, enjoy.

Tom
      Tom Walstab
      Member #142
      911L Silver 1968
      911T Colour? 1969 Work in progress
      928GTS Iris Blue 1995
      911 997 Targa 4S Black
      Ford Ranger 4x4 Silver
      Arrow 125cc Rotax GoKart

Comment

Welcome Remi.

You're going to love that Targa! Can't wait to see more photos
        Mickc

65’ 912/6
        70’ 911T coupe
        00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

Welcome Remi.
          When sourcing parts and and services related to our cars be sure not to overlook our club sponsors whose banners (web links) are at the top of the webpage.
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901
          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Looks like a stunning combination (black paint, silver targa bar and black interior), congratulations!

And welcome!
            Tom Laube
            Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
            VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Welcome indeed good to have another open lid amongst us.
              Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

An update: the car arrived today. Am gagging to go for a drive tonight. It is filthy after a week on the truck- might even find time for a quick wash tonight.

Quick newbie question: when I fill up tonight (tank is almost empty...) I will obviously go for 98Octane. Do most of you add valve lubricant (flash-lube or similar) or not? Being a '71T my car has carbs. With my previous classics- I used to add valve lubricant, so tips appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Forgot the photo...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Remi

I use 98 octane in my 73E and occasionally a booster and cleaner (although the 2.4's can get away with 91 octane or lower), but dont use anything to lubricate the valves -my understanding is that Porsches', since early 356 times, have always had hardened valves and do not need it. I have done 100,000 miles on my car with no obvious ill effects
                    Hugh Hodges
                    1973 E
                    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Fuels are vastly different now to when these cars were built. 98RON (Premium) is a waste of money in an old car running sub-10:1 CR. Standard 92-95RON will keep your engine happy as Larry.

As Hugh mentions, Porsche always had hardened valve seats in their heads from production.
                      John Forcier
                      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                      Restoration Saga
                      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

i should have said the only reason I use 98 in my car is that I can go for a month or 6 weeks without putting fuel in it and I like the safety margin of higher octane as from my understanding it goes off and drops in Octane as time passes
                        Hugh Hodges
                        1973 E
                        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                          i should have said the only reason I use 98 in my car is that I can go for a month or 6 weeks without putting fuel in it and I like the safety margin of higher octane as from my understanding it goes off and drops in Octane as time passes
                          Sort of true as I understand it, but the recommendation in this case is to use a fuel stabilizer and/or store your car with a full tank and ensure the venting and seals are all functional. I'll try and find the article I read about it...
                          John Forcier
                          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                          Restoration Saga
                          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Managed to wash to new addition last night: now looking great, even had a chance for a short spin (but gathering rainclouds kept it short).

Embarrassingly, then went on to lock the keys in the car (unfamiliar car, unfamiliar routine)...must get a spare cut once I get RACV to come get it open.

Comment

Remi. When getting the keys cut don't get them copied from the one you have. Make sure you know the key code/ number and get it cut from that. Also at the same time it would be worth checking out if all keys / locks are the same and changing any that are not (exclusions are the glovebox one and for you with a targa probably the front compartment lock which both should work from your full key but not from the valet key.
                              Hugh Hodges
                              1973 E
                              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Working...
                              X