Import Proof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import Proof?

Tapping into the collective knowledge here...

My viper green 68L is a US delivered car currently being built up to a Group S spec car was acquired with no paperwork. It came from Victoria and was painted a port-wine/burgundy colour (over original Ossi Blau). It was apparently once registerd in Vic, but I have no knowledge of registration details.

It has never been my intention to register the car, however I'm conscious a future owner may want to and I have been careful to ensure every original part has been kept for prosperity and that there are no modifications that can't be undone or impede future use on the road.

Has anyone had to chase down this sort of data before? Where did you start? I essentially really only need to demonstrate the car came into Australia lawfully and that duty was paid at the time. I'm not going to lose sleep over it and know I can just as easily send it back to the States to recover its value in the future - but that seems pretty stupid if I can chase down bonafides.

Does anyone recall a burgundy SWB left hooker getting about Melbourne around 10 years ago? Maybe there's an old photo about with a rego number...? I believe the person I acquired it from found it in an old "Unique Cars" magazine ad back in the day... Anyone recall it?

Thanks for any advice.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Yep chase the rego and you will be fine as it could not have been registered without correct import info
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
      Yep chase the rego and you will be fine as it could not have been registered without correct import info
      All anecdotal...

On advice from Scott Mc I've shot an email off to DOTARS with vehicle details chasing an easy outcome. Rego is going to be harder unless vehicle triggers someone's memory!

Another thing about the car was it had a faux woodgrain dash... The basket weave had been removed and wood grain laminex applied The ashtray was also engraved with "Smoking is Hazardous". Jog any memories?
      John Forcier
      Restoration Saga

Comment

Well thanks to Scotty's advice, I received a very responsive letter from DOTAR/Dept Infrastructure confirming the car was imported as recently as 2007 with all duty paid. So I can at least offer confirmation to anyone in the future that it can be registered (even if I don't bother with the process).

Love to hear from anyone who may be aware of the limited history of the car... It would have appeared as a very rough version of Merv's car to anyone looking at it 10 years ago (in burgundy clothes).

Cheers
        John Forcier
        Restoration Saga

Comment

Found it, they did a great job fixing it up - the next owner will be over the moon to see the history.

No no, thank me later Fishy
          Attached Files
          Tom Walstab
          Member #142
          911L Silver 1968
          911T Colour? 1969 Work in progress
          928GTS Iris Blue 1995
          911 997 Targa 4S Black
          Ford Ranger 4x4 Silver
          Arrow 125cc Rotax GoKart

Comment

Love your work Tom.

Comment

Bastard.
              John Forcier
              Restoration Saga

Comment

Got my U.S. 68L regoed on club plates a few months back at Carlton Vic Roads and they just wanted a RWC. I had all the papers but they did not want them��. Strange as it had not been here in Aus before.
                [B]M.P.Lanza

Comment

Originally posted by mario lanza View Post
                  Got my U.S. 68L regoed on club plates a few months back at Carlton Vic Roads and they just wanted a RWC. I had all the papers but they did not want them��. Strange as it had not been here in Aus before.
                  That's how Queensland is too (and where I may yet register the car). NSW however requires a 'Blue Slip' which requires the assessor to establish roadworthy condition; and to go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb to "establish identity". Usually the 17 number VIN found on modern cars delivered to Oz does this. But I've been warned that on an imported car without the standard VIN (such as those found on old 911s) the assessor will want a paper trail and owners/rego history. The letter received from DOTARS will at least confirm the car was 'identified' when it came into the country.

When I recently re-registered my Tilta car trailer in NSW from Qld, NSW was not satisfied with the manufacturer's plate... They made me get a weigh bridge certificate (despite the 300kg gross weight on the plate), and they made me stamp the drawbar with the 17 digit VIN from the plate (which I kind of understand). I also had heaps of trouble with the previous owner failing to send on the Qld rego papers or a purchase receipt which made it really hard to get registered!
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

My 68 will also have a full CAMS cage which means I'll probably also have to have a modification plate. The cage is a bolt in, so I could pull it for the exercise, but if I'm going to jump through hoops - I might as well jump them all.
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

I think Santa had his eyes on the Stiletto's!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fishcop View Post
                        bastard.
                        Me? Never 😂
                        Tom Walstab
                        Member #142
                        911L Silver 1968
                        911T Colour? 1969 Work in progress
                        928GTS Iris Blue 1995
                        911 997 Targa 4S Black
                        Ford Ranger 4x4 Silver
                        Arrow 125cc Rotax GoKart