Iconic 901 Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iconic 901 Photo

I came across this on the stuttcars.com website last night.

This is an iconic photo of 901's, although of poor photographic quality - it's important because it's sort of a birth photo - "proud parents" with the new born baby. Probably taken in September 1963, it shows the very first of the 13 prototypes (13321) built.

There are 34 people present and the caption says the "901 Development Team" but I think it reveals more.

Some thoughts:
    It's not a particularly good photo - certainly not a publicity shot - maybe they asked one of the young mechanics to climb up the biggest ladder they had in the factory.

I suspect that after 4 years of work, finally completing the first prototype 901 was important enough to record.

However, they seem a bit stiff and not particularly happy to be there - I can only see Butzi smiling - maybe they are all exhausted!

Odd that they are not standing close to the car - their first "baby" after all - almost sort of in the background, notwithstanding many of them have probably poured their life into this project.

Was this everyone at Porsche developing the new 901 - it's only 30 odd people - there must have been involved more than that.

Maybe these dudes are the main leaders within the overall 911 development team - most are in suits?

There three distinct groupings with the leadership (at the front and quite separate. This is revealing and very German I think. Ferry at the front because well he is the boss and part owner of the business.

His son, Piech (nephew) & Tomala equal in a second line. These 3 must have been the key drivers of the 901 project: in order: design, engine and practical assembly & testing. Then behind these 4 are the 3 separate groups.

Interestingly, Komenda, such a legendary and senior figure at Porsche is not prominent, not in the second line but back back in the larger groups - a falling out?

I wonder what was the basis of each group (of about 10). Was it responsibility for a particular aspect of the new car; e.g. engine, body, interior etc.?

Interestingly, not a single female involved, even Ferry's sister who owned part of Porsche. In 1963 people didn't know how to spell "gender diversity" let alone practice it. Typists and secretaries not invited.

Can anyone shed further light on this iconic 901 scene?
    Attached Files
    Mark Evans
    1966 912 5 gauge
    1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL
Working...
X