Rear suspension creak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear suspension creak

After fitting Elephant Racing rubber bushes to the front and rear torsion bars, I thought that this kind of noise was gone forever. However, the LHS rear presented creak over speed bumps and similar. I pulled off the 4-bolt cap over the outer side of the spring plate, and added some graphite. Re-assembled and noise still there

I asked my 'assistant' to push down on the suspension while I went under for a listen. Surprisingly, it was one of the Koni shocks I had fitted all round, less than 2 years ago.

These had a white poly bushing at the lower end of the shaft and rubber bushings above that between the shock 'hat' and the lower body of the shock. Some reading led me to suspect that this protective bushing was the culprit. Greasing is only a temp fix. Removed the shock and the offending poly bush and replaced it with a thick, high-tensile rubber one, and noise gone!

Just in case someone else thinks they have a spring plate bushing problem - it may not be!

Interesting Merv, I fitted Koni's on all four corners to my car as part of my resto and my Koni's didn't have any 'poly' bushes fitted.

I had rubber at the bottom and th standard rubber top.

Maybe a SWB thing?

Comment

I don't think so Tony as these are pretty stock Koni (Red) Classics and they all come now with the rubber extended bushes at the top in the 'hat' and a white poly lower bush at the base. There are many, many threads now complaining about rubbing noise.

Comment

That's disappointing Merv as I've rated Koni highly for years.

For future searchers, what/from where did you get the rubber replacment bush?

Comment

Made it up Tony, from (don't laugh) a thick, toughened rubber seal used in the base of toilet cisterns (Bunnings). Has a central hole the same size and diameter. Then used Bosch Rubber grease on all rubber parts. From the many complaints to Koni, I suspect they will do their own soon.

Comment

Well done.........
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post
              Well done.........

gold!!!!

Comment

My hero

Comment

Comment

Working...