How times have changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How times have changed

Today marks 4 years since I picked up my 1971 matching numbers tangerine 911T. It was delivered to Hamiltons in May 71, but spend most of it's life in NZ and was re-imported to NSW about 6 years ago.

It was advertised on Carsales in Sydney and sat there unwanted for 2 months until I purchased it. I originally inspected it in August 2012, but needed to sell my 1972 Alfa Spider before considering it. The Spider was a fun car, but didn't like the salty air of Bondi. After a while, every morning I woke up to a new bubble of rust on the Spider - so ended up almost giving it away.

Luckily the 911 was still available when I enquired again in October. I parted with $37,500 and drove it home. It had a few non-original parts that I've been gradually replacing, but all in all a solid car.

Seemed like a good deal now.

I doubt that your Bondi residence has quadrupled in value since 2012 ?
    Craig
    12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
    1972 2.4E Targa project
    1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Perhaps we should celebrate our car's birthday? Build date? 29/3/68 in my case.

Comment

My LHD 71T in tangerine is number 9111101205. Might be close to yours?

Comment

That's two days after my birthday - obviously built in my honor!

Originally posted by Merv View Post
          Perhaps we should celebrate our car's birthday? Build date? 29/3/68 in my case.
          Mark Munro
          '69 911T (sold)
          '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
          '69 MG Midget Group S car
          TYP901 Register #196

Comment

Originally posted by markymark_1968 View Post
            That's two days after my birthday - obviously built in my honor!
            Old fart.
            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Hi Jason, Indeed how times have changed.

I thought I would share with you and the rest on our forum what your car looked like when it left New Zealand back in 2010. From the background, these photos where taken on Auckland's Te Atatu peninsula at the edge of the Waitemata Harbour. They appeared in a for sale add on the Sella website when the then long time owner (20years) a PCNZ member finally decided to part with his beloved 911.

I have some more history on your car, so I will send you a PM and so that you can contact me.

It's great to see how you have brought this car back to it's period correct configuration. Yet another New Zealand early 911 that has found a good home in Australia.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Greg Gaylor; 15-10-16, 12:38 PM.
              1970 911E 'Grasshopper'

Comment

That ducktail looks familiar.
                Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by mrar View Post
                  That ducktail looks familiar.
                  How about a photo of its new location? :p

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Gaylor View Post
                    Hi Jason, Indeed how times have changed.

I thought I would share with you and the rest on our forum what your car looked like when it left New Zealand back in 2010. From the background, these photos where taken on Auckland's Te Atatu peninsula at the edge of the Waitemata Harbour. They appeared in a for sale add on the Sella website when the then long time owner (20years) a PCNZ member finally decided to part with his beloved 911.

I have some more history on your car, so I will send you a PM and so that you can contact me.

It's great to see how you have brought this car back to it's period correct configuration. Yet another New Zealand early 911 that has found a good home in Australia.
                    Yes that's her. I've got a full history file. First owner was Neil Gower, Rotorua 25th May 1971. Happy to contact you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cairns888 View Post
                      My LHD 71T in tangerine is number 9111101205. Might be close to yours?
                      Mine is 9111100073. Can you post a photo of yours?

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
                        How about a photo of its new location? :p
                        Its hanging on the wall at present, have a flat lid on for a change. Here is a pic from earlier on, Duck tail installed.
                        Attached Files
                        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Hi Jason,

That's fantastic. It's only a nerd like me that gets excited by this stuff, but I believe I'm in good company in this club.

A few years back a couple of our Porsche Club members did an exhaustive search of records held at National Archives. It took them two weeks solid! They searched records kept by the New Zealand Motor Vehicle Dealers association of all cars being registered in New Zealand between 1955 and 1974, and were able to obtain a list of Porsches from the many thousands of cars listed.

On the list of Porsches there is a car I've never been able to identify.
                          It was registered at the Rotorua Post Office to N.Gower of Rotorua, registration No. FN1255, in October 1970 as a New Car, so not imported as an ex overseas car. LMVD records only listed the month the car was registered.

What is curious about this is that I thought your car was first registered on 25th May 1971. It's certainly possible that your car was registered new in October 1970 with a 1st August 1970 build date, but other sources of info such as Carjam are saying 25th May 1971. Can you clear this up for me?

It could be that our guys made a mistake when transcribing records at National Archives.

Many thanks Jason , look forward to hearing from you.
                          Last edited by Greg Gaylor; 15-10-16, 03:13 PM.
                          1970 911E 'Grasshopper'

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
                            Mine is 9111100073. Can you post a photo of yours?
                            Mine is currently in an unrecognizable state. No guards or paint or anything for that matter. Someone had some fun over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Gaylor View Post
                              Hi Jason,

That's fantastic. It's only a nerd like me that gets excited by this stuff, but I believe I'm in good company in this club.

A few years back a couple of our Porsche Club members did an exhaustive search of records held at National Archives. It took them two weeks solid! They searched records kept by the New Zealand Motor Vehicle Dealers association of all cars being registered in New Zealand between 1955 and 1974, and were able to obtain a list of Porsches from the many thousands of cars listed.

On the list of Porsches there is a car I've never been able to identify.
                              It was registered at the Rotorua Post Office to N.Gower of Rotorua, registration No. FN1255, in October 1970 as a New Car, so not imported as an ex overseas car. LMVD records only listed the month the car was registered.

What is curious about this is that I thought your car was first registered on 25th May 1971. It's certainly possible that your car was registered new in October 1970 with a 1st August 1970 build date, but other sources of info such as Carjam are saying 25th May 1971. Can you clear this up for me?

It could be that our guys made a mistake when transcribing records at National Archives.

Many thanks Jason , look forward to hearing from you.
                              Build date 1st August 1970. First registered on 25th May 1971

Comment

Working...
                              X