TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on value of 901 box in full working order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on value of 901 box in full working order?

Magnesium not aluminium.

I didn't even know that they were different. Did they change to Mag from 69 onwards?

Comment

(On my limited understanding) very early ones were al. The one I have is 911/02 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bremith View Post
        (On my limited understanding) very early ones were al. The one I have is 911/02 I think.
        Are you sure that is the number?
        Had a quick look and couldn't find a 911/02, 901/02 comes up as 67/68's gbox. I have a 902/01 in my 912. 911/01 were available 70/71.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

No im not sure at all other than pretty sure it's a 1970 box and pretty sure it's 911/0X. Will check.

Comment

It's value depends on whether you need it or not.

The 911 was transition box between the aluminium 901 and the later 915 - though internally identical to a 901 except for the differential. I think it's correct for late 69, 70 and 71. It is the 'awkward' clutch arrangement with the push clutch operated by the sheath and not the cable.

Down side of mag is that the bearings can shag out in the softer metal - they end up spinning in the bore. There are repairs for this of course, but it's all dollars.

Internals ware where the value is... If it has an LSD it's the larger and more useful version. What are the ratios? Key here is the mainshaft... second is incorporated/welded, so the ratios necessarily peel off what fthe mainshaft is set at. Most will be 'F' second gear. Early boxes were A F M S X and later boxes have taller gearing as standard as engine got torquier. Gear sets are worth $200-300 each.

Value? Dunno. They pop up semi regularly in the States from $500-3000 but it all depends on condition inside. Gears, spiders, sliders, dog-rings and synchros are really expensive now. And gears 1 and 2 are notoriously short lived in an abused box - and of course a damaged 2nd means a new mainshaft.

I understand there can be complications with using this box arrangement in the wrong year - the drive flanges are 6 bolt but the larger diameter and there can be issues with spline counts when using other flanges (especially if LSD equipped).
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Aluminium case adds a bit of value if your car is early enough to have come with one.
              I would think that 3500 to 4K would be fair asking?

Comment

Thanks gents. Mines magnesium cased and pretty sure open diff. Sitting behind the 2.4-come-2.7 in my 71 (which was Sporto from factory) and just want to understand the economics of replacing it with something else.

Comment

Pretty sure the 911 box posted by Chris last fortnight is similar to what you have - It sold for $1255

It was ugly, had no clutch or TO arm.

Last edited by Fishcop; 15-10-16, 12:54 PM.
                  John Forcier
                  1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                  1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                  Restoration Saga
                  1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

$4K + sounds spot on then.
                    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                    X