Cast vs forged wheels for track use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast vs forged wheels for track use?

Noting that original Fuch wheels are forged and all the Fuch clones seem to be cast, is it safe to use a clone (cast) wheel on the track?

I am!
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

the experts/books all say don't use cast - especially fuch repro's as the forged wheels have some thin sections that are weak when replicated by a casting.

however, i've seen a few fuch wheels stripped for refinishing and found to be full of cracks too. 30 years of use will do that - especially wth wide, sticky tyres.

if you go with cast - maybe just up your checking schedule? or keep an eye out for some good quality non fuch wheels like simmons, minilight (minilite?) etc.

i think marcus just fitted some aussie made minilight style wheels from SA

cookie cutters also make a great cheap track wheel - and don't look too bad when painted all black. i picked up a set of 4 15x7 cc's for about $150.

Comment

The minilites look pretty good to me - I'm going to get a quote for a set next week (they're a little heavier than fuchs - ideal for wets), I'll let you know the cost.

Comment

make sure you doublecheck the offsets on the available minilites as Marcus had some problems getting them to fit (clearance problems on the front).
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

The minilite problem ....
            Okay essentially if you have a narrow body car, ie, a 2 litre car, then the wheels won't fit. So that means they won't fit a SWB car so LWB car that does not have ANY flares. Marcus does have one later front guard that is a repro, and the wheel fits fine. The other side was tight. The rear, the wheels have a 22mm offset (or thereabouts, whereas the normal fuch is about 42mm? Someone help me here. Either way, they widen the track about 15mm of thereabouts. If you are running wider guards then there is no issue. The only other thing that Marcus had to do was lengthen his wheels studs at great expense!
            The nuts are also different in that they do not have a champher, and therefore you need to run non porsche nuts. You can get them drilled out though if you have the right champering tool.
            The ones that come from South Aussie, are about $195 for the 6 inch wheel. More expensive i guess for the wider ones. This is what i have described above. There are more expensive ones out of the UK which cost about $500 a wheel, but they have the correct offset and champher.
            They are only slightly heavier, but are new metal! Weigh it up (excuse the pun) as to new metal vs 30 year old metal.
            As the wheels are now, Marcus could have fitted the wheels, but the car was standing too proud, and needed to be lowered. As soon as it was lowered, they fouled the guards again and the guards need to be rolled.
            In short, they look awesome, but just make sure you do a little homework and prepared to do a little work as nothing is as easy as it seems!!!
            Alex Webster

Comment

a couple of years ago i was toying with what wheels for my cooper s, oz superlites or genuine minilites? minilite in the uk were very helpful and i purchased the set direct and had them airfreighted out at about 50% of the cost anyone was prepared to quote me here.
              my point they are beautifully made wheels, they are brand new, many fo the uk based 901 competition cars use them and ml are very helpful with exporting. its also a good excuse to post a photo of my s!!!
              Attached Files
              Craig
              12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
              1972 2.4E Targa project
              1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

a thread on early S site
                http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=11791
                All about minilites and offset - enjoy
                Alex Webster

Comment