Period correct race wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Period correct race wheel

I'm considering replacing the steering wheel in my 73 RS Rally/Race car (replica) and was wanting a suede one. I was then wondering what people thought, and if there was a type that was more period correct.

Comments please from the style and period nazis please.. Photos welcome and if someone has one to sell, dont be afraid to offer it up.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew,

I have a brand new Momo Volante black suede steering wheel which I might sell. Its still in the box and never used. Its the same size as a Momo Prototipo but with a deeper dish. It has the yellow tape at 12 o'clock and has black spokes with round holes. Price would be A$285.00 without a boss.

Its about the only one available in suede that I have seen thats period correct, but it does protrude further towards the driver than others. Some people like this because it gives better leverage without you having to sit too close to the wheel and affecting your pedals etc.

Check out this USA site: http://www.ltbmotorsports.com/steeringwheel.html

These guys are selling the Momo prototipo at a good price. the silver prototpipo (normally the more sought after and higher priced - like on pelican Parts) is only US$185.00

Let me know if you are interested in the suede wheel I have.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Here's a pic of the wheel. This wheel comes with a MOMO horn button. I also have Porsche horn buttons which fit and are $35.00 ea.
      Attached Files
      sigpicPhil Lack
      R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Phil

Thanks for your advice. Yep it does look great, I'll have to do a bit of measuring when I get the car back ealry next week to see if the current wheel protrudes the same amount, as I don't want it any closer than it is now. I'll be in touch.

Ps I think I have a Momo now with buttton and boss etc so only would need the wheel

Regards

Comment

Andrew,

someone else jumped in on the wheel and may have already snapped it up. If they dont buy it after looking at it shortly, I will advise. However, it seems from what you say, you dont want any more dish in the wheel so the prototipo whould be the ideal wheel as it was the factory choice for race cars of the era. Only available now in smooth leather though at the website I gave you.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Phil I think you misunderstood, I think it will be exactly the same as mine is now, most probably the dish will be the same. I just want to check to make sure it's not worse.

Any way, it seems it may be all irrelevant if someone else has jumped in. Let me know.

Comment

Andrew, then I would suggest the MOMO Prototipo wheel available at that site I posted. they are the cheapest around as far as I can see. If you check out pics in books of old race cars, this wheel appears often.

of course the purists want the correct date stamped one (like a ' 73). i saw an original prototipo at Essen dated early 70s, supposedly out of a 917. Guy wanted 1500 euros for it (almost $3000).
              sigpicPhil Lack
              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Hey Andrew, this is the first suede one I've ever used - the new car has one - not very period correct, though it's a great wheel.
                Cheers,
                Nick
                PS - have you entered the Festival of SportsCars in Oct??
                Attached Files

Comment

Nick whats the wheel called ???? Momo ???

FoSC will have to wait at the moment...

Comment

It's a Momo - no idea what sort, although it worked a treat on the weekend!
                    I saw your car on Sunday - sad little thing in the corner... I only took your battery this time

Comment

Nice photos Nick, twins.....

Battery is probably flat and I have no use for it....

Comment

Sat in the red cars today, they didn't have steering wheels..... I wonder where they could be ???

Comment

Working...
                        X