Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes!!!

Hi Guys

Just wondering what sort of brakes you Track / Tarmac guys are all running?

I've still got the standard T brakes and am looking at changing the front struts to get the wider spacing to allow a greater range of callipers. Maybe some S callipers or SC perhaps..

Any thoughts / experiences appreciated.

Looking for front struts with the 3.5" calliper spacing if anyone has any to sell.

Cheers
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Cam, I have to run standard S calipers and rotors, but with awesome pads and brake fluid, they are wonderful will no fade.

I know Ryan runs Boxster brakes up front, and a few guys run the 3.2 rotors... I am not experienced enough, but maybe a good set of pads and fluid will save you the heart ache of changing the calipers and rotors.... my 2c worth!
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Thanks Alex

I'm running good pads and fluid and want to keep the 15" wheels.......
      Cam Arnott
      Looking for engine #6208151
      1970 911E (Sold)
      '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
      2 x Split Screen Kombis
      TYP 901 Register # 78
      Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

For what's it's worth...

I've taken the S brakes off my car years ago and replaced them good old iron SC's

I've found when driving a 'light' early 911 or a 914/914-6 the alloy S brakes are just fine for almost all applications... I reckon somewhere around 2100lbs

I noticed in my 2400 + pound street '73, that (in extreme situation i.e.. on the track) I could actually feel the alloy brakes flex ... So, off came the S's and on went some cheep iron SC's. With the addition of steel lines, and the deletion of the rain shields plus some optional 'street' pads, this was all I needed for very aggressive mountain driving AND on the track... with a MUCH more positive feel...

So the SC's are on the car and the pretty S's are in a box in the attic...

Hope this helps,
        Cheers
        Chuck Miller
        The Australian TYP 901 Register #062
        Early 911S Registry #109 - Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator
        R Gruppe #88

Comment

cam,

i use boxster f + r calipers with 3.2 discs, plus dual m/c's with a balance bar and front brake cooling scoops. in hindsight, its slightly overkill.

i think a SC or similar brake upgrade would suit your car well. i'd also use a bigger m/c (the 23mm merc benz unit is almost a straight bolt on and give a great pedal feel) and cooling scoops etc on the front. if you have any cash leftover, go for a dual m/c setup.

Comment

Working...
          X