TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 questions: 1969 gauges; and bonnet restaint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 questions: 1969 gauges; and bonnet restaint.

ok kids,

i've got a couple of issues with the new car:

1. how do you remove the gauges on a 1969 car? in all of my other 911's they are retained by a rubber grommet and you just pull them out of the dash.

in the 69E they seem to be held in by a clamp or something across the back. what holds them and how do you get to it?

2. oddly, the 69E doesn't have a secondary bonnet restraint. i don't want to drill the bonnet (as per my RS clone) and would instead like to do the cable/hook under the bonnet style arrangement. can you guys pls post some pics of how you have done yours.

thanks in advance.

Ryan,

You will find lots of unique things on a 69 lots of one year only things like the size of the speaker grille and how it is held in place etc etc

Guages are held in place by an alloy strap with a screw on each end if you can get the speaker grille out you may be able to get access otherwise rubber arms as usual. If you get the tacho out you can fit your hand in to reach the others.

I used a spyder auto strap simple wire with clip on end that screws into bonnet latch and then clips on the tube that holds the wire for the bonnet latch
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Ryan
      As done on KYJ (note : all the brown colour isn't rust, it's fish oil liberally coated over all interior panels by previous owner - pain in the A to remove)
      Attached Files
      Peter Williams #049
      Secretary TYP901
      1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

peter

i hope its de-odorized fish oil?

craig
        Craig
        12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
        1972 2.4E Targa project
        1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
          peter

i hope its de-odorized fish oil?

craig
          Geez, so that's why my car is so popular with the neighbourhood cats.
          Peter Williams #049
          Secretary TYP901
          1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Stig

1. Guages are held in as noted above by a strap on each guage and two 'finger removeable' nuts. Have you chipped the black paint on the guage yet??? Have fun removing all of the stuff under the bonnet to get access, unless you are removing the clock which is possible without removing anything. You'll still need bendy fingers nd a positive attitude.

2. I went to the boat shop in Rushcutters Bay for the bonnet strap. Made it up out of stainless cable and boat stainless fittings. I used the existing bonnet bolts to mount 'eyes' to hold the cable. Far more sexy than a blue bike chain and very 'bespoke'. If you go when it's not busy the guy in the shop will help.

3. Your text about fitting new rubber today is exciting however I wasn't sure if it was for me. If you mean tyres, I'd welcome the chance to to be in the car while you wear them out, maybe tomorrow and a run to the late shop.

Give me a call if you're up for it.

Comment

mr b

1. excellent - clock is making way for a combo oil/shift light idea of mine (or one those 'delete' thingys you like so much...)

2. normal hardware shop fittings will do me fine.

3. we have tread! you're on - did you mean 'latte' shop?

ps. can i butcher your old clock?

Comment

Working...
              X